Alphas air stream custom

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alphas air stream custom

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:27 pm

poisonokie wrote:I can get great, manageable distance out of a 3/32 oz (2.3g) spoon using 6# Invizx on my MSX 64UL/BF. Obviously it casts accurately to tight spots, too. I'm using mine for bass, so I don't want to go much lighter on the line, but I'm sure with 2 or 3# the distance would be even better. It casts as light and far as I'll ever need. I can't wait to try it with some tiny weightless plastics, neko and jika rigs, and tiny cranks when the weather warms and I can get serious again. I love the reel. It's so effortless and smooth on cast, retrieve, and drag, and so lightweight it has exceeded my expectations in every way. Very few reels have managed that feat with me.
It is great for sure. Mine was smooth and then I cracked it open to lube the gears. Feels even better. Will add bearings to the knobs tomorrow. I bet neko rigs and such will be a treat with this reel
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
poisonokie wrote:I can get great, manageable distance out of a 3/32 oz (2.3g) spoon using 6# Invizx on my MSX 64UL/BF. Obviously it casts accurately to tight spots, too. I'm using mine for bass, so I don't want to go much lighter on the line, but I'm sure with 2 or 3# the distance would be even better. It casts as light and far as I'll ever need. I can't wait to try it with some tiny weightless plastics, neko and jika rigs, and tiny cranks when the weather warms and I can get serious again. I love the reel. It's so effortless and smooth on cast, retrieve, and drag, and so lightweight it has exceeded my expectations in every way. Very few reels have managed that feat with me.
It is great for sure. Mine was smooth and then I cracked it open to lube the gears. Feels even better. Will add bearings to the knobs tomorrow. I bet neko rigs and such will be a treat with this reel
Adding knob bearings took all the play out of them without the need for shims on mine.
This is the way.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:08 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Adding knob bearings took all the play out of them without the need for shims on mine.
Just did it. Not shims needed here either

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:25 am

Sounds like I’m going to need to learn how to work on this reel and what upgrades I should look to do...

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:56 am

I will be working on handle bearings (when I get them) but otherwise I do not find that you need to work any further on the reel. It works great as it is. All I have done is to clean bearings and apply a drop of tsi321.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:51 am

Craigthor wrote:Sounds like I’m going to need to learn how to work on this reel and what upgrades I should look to do...
It doesnt even really need bearings for the knobs. They are smooth as can be. I did it because I had bearings that needed a home.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:55 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Craigthor wrote:Sounds like I’m going to need to learn how to work on this reel and what upgrades I should look to do...
It doesnt even really need bearings for the knobs. They are smooth as can be. I did it because I had bearings that needed a home.
Ha. I shouldn’t have ordered bearings then. Well, the handle knobs are a wee bit loose with some play on my ASCs and my regular Alphas Air. I will give it a try...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:59 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Ha. I shouldn’t have ordered bearings then. Well, the handle knobs are a wee bit loose with some play on my ASCs and my regular Alphas Air. I will give it a try...
That's the main reason I did it, to take out the play. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.
This is the way.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:15 am

I’ll wait till it arrives and go from there. Currently awaiting a reply on if the rod I want is available if not then I’ll have to go to choice 2 and see if choice 2 is available.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:06 am

Got my ASC last night and boy oh boy is this thing smooth. Got 2 rods on order now so may have to grab another one of these.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Craigthor wrote:Got my ASC last night and boy oh boy is this thing smooth. Got 2 rods on order now so may have to grab another one of these.
I think it has something to do with the aluminum set plate. Not other alphas has had that AFAIK.
This is the way.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:20 am

Can anyone tell me which neoprene cover size fits this reel? I’m guessing the small but want to make sure before I order.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:33 am

Craigthor wrote:Can anyone tell me which neoprene cover size fits this reel? I’m guessing the small but want to make sure before I order.
I just use the regular Daiwa one on mine.

This is the way.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:36 am

poisonokie wrote:
Craigthor wrote:Can anyone tell me which neoprene cover size fits this reel? I’m guessing the small but want to make sure before I order.
I just use the regular Daiwa one on mine.

There wouldn’t happen to be an item number on the tag inside of it would there?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:38 am

The covers from TW are great and fit most low-pro reels just fine. Inexpensive, too, especially when you are buying a bunch of other stuff you don't really need! :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.