Arkansas Capybara

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Arkansas Capybara

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:28 am

So a few days ago one of the wildest stories of my life happened. I had been fishing a lot the last few months even though recently I haven't fished much. September 30th I took a picture of an animal I thought was just a big Nutria (a big river rodent I had never personally seen). Well I got to describing the animal at work, and a co-worker called me out. He said I really don't think Nutria get to 40lbs. I showed the picture for evidence, and they all thought it was odd looking. I had mentioned before it looked strange, but never thought anything of it. I called our game and fish commission and posted the picture on Facebook. Immediately I got a response that it was in fact a Capybara but they had no idea why it was in North Arkansas on the White River. Only a few minutes passed and I had a ton of Facebook messages.

The animal was a pet bought from Georgia and had escaped back in the summer. I called the woman and her husband to tell them exact locations of the beast. Thursday I even took them out in the boat. We found tracks around the one picture I will post on here, but no animal was seen. I had seen the Capybara the 30th of September, the 23th of September (weekend before), and the 7th of November. Haven't been fishing since and did not spot her on December 21st (Thursday's trip). Either way the couple was very friendly and thankful, still offered to pay me if I could lead them to capturing her. They were going to hire a trapper and knew the farmer whose land she was spotted on.

I will update if they ever message back, they said they would let me know how their hunt goes. I also told them I would message if I am fishing and see the animal again.

Such a weird story though, another boater on Facebook said he had seen it too, thought he was crazy.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Arkansas Capybara

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:32 am

Here is the picture, I meant to say October 7th and September 23th.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:11 pm

Cool story, dude! I don't think nutria range that far North. Iirc, southern Oklahoma and Mississippi are about their northern native range.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:00 pm

Dat be a dang beeg rodent... world's largest. 8-)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:28 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:00 pm
The family literally asked that I don't post the location of where the Capybara was spotted for fear that a Gert-beat redneck might shoot it. There are some amazing people in the deep South but there are also some bad ones.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:43 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:28 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:00 pm
The family literally asked that I don't post the location of where the Capybara was spotted for fear that a Gert-beat redneck might shoot it. There are some amazing people in the deep South but there are also some bad ones.
That's a truth all around the world...I'd take my chances in the "deep South" any day versus the feces and drug needle strewn, homeless criminal camps of L.A., Oakland, San Francisco, Chicago, NYC, Baltimore, Seattle, Portland, Houston...just about any hard-line Democrat deep blue city.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."