Supercharging Tow Vehicle

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Supercharging Tow Vehicle

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:45 pm

Good Day.

I decided to take a risk or live out a dream depending on how you look at it. I recently purchased a supercharger for my truck and its yet to arrive how ever after the dyno and all that the truck will still be my daily driver on occassions. If you have a supercharger on your truck how is life with it and what do you regret?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Supercharging Tow Vehicle

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:03 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:45 pm
Good Day.

I decided to take a risk or live out a dream depending on how you look at it. I recently purchased a supercharger for my truck and its yet to arrive how ever after the dyno and all that the truck will still be my daily driver on occassions. If you have a supercharger on your truck how is life with it and what do you regret?
What kind of truck is it? I had a Titan for a long time in late high school/early college, it towed fine. Met a guy at Arkansas State who had a 4 door 2WD Titan who had put a Stillen supercharger on his. He had pulled some mowers, 4 wheelers, and other small trailer stuff, never had any major complaints. I want to say he said it was better on mountains and freeways (passing power), but maybe was a tad softer/jumpy at low speed take offs. He never really said he felt that "leech" at lower RPMs. Do remember him complaining about gas mileage though. Mine could get 19mpg on the highway, about 13 in city, this guy said he was lucky to get 10 mpg anywhere. This was 2008-2010 though.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:08 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:03 am
goldrod wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:45 pm
Good Day.

What kind of truck is it? I had a Titan for a long time in late high school/early college, it towed fine. Met a guy at Arkansas State who had a 4 door 2WD Titan who had put a Stillen supercharger on his. He had pulled some mowers, 4 wheelers, and other small trailer stuff, never had any major complaints. I want to say he said it was better on mountains and freeways (passing power), but maybe was a tad softer/jumpy at low speed take offs. He never really said he felt that "leech" at lower RPMs. Do remember him complaining about gas mileage though. Mine could get 19mpg on the highway, about 13 in city, this guy said he was lucky to get 10 mpg anywhere. This was 2008-2010 though.

The truck is a 2019 Tundra TRD Pro and I am adding a 2650 Magnuson
Supercharger which is bigger than the one that Toyota came out with originally. ( awaiting shipment now )

Truck has a 38 gallon tank and as for gas mileage I used to drive a Shevy (
yes She-ve) back and forth to work for years so gas mileage isn't too big of
a deal.

I have found that the tundra will burn in the city but you take a trip and
its 70-77 mph and your hardly burning gas plus the size of the tank gives
you more range than most vehicle. I have a pedal commander on it but will
soon be taking it off. The suspension is stock trd / fox shocks and the
tires are stock

as I didn't want to spend money where I didn't have to. This is the Crew Max
cab as well and the wife loves the room and comfort. I added seat jackers to
the front seats. After this mod I hope to get some traction bars if
anything. This has been like building a reel for me but far more expensive.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:13 pm

I love adding power, but with any vehicle when it comes to more power or load the enemy is heat. By itself (not towing anything) you will love the addon. Positive displacement blowers add so much low end torque you barely have to give it any gas to accelerate. It will feel like you threw a big block in your truck. When you start towing heavy it starts really putting load on parts but the added low end from the blower will be a night and day difference.

I'm not sure how heavy you plan to tow but with the added power, adding a bigger transmission cooler is a great idea (also having a monitor to tell you where your temps are at). And the monitor helps to make sure your radiator is doing its job since the motor will be making more heat. If you just plan on pulling your boat around no worries that's a pretty light load. Once you get heavier having a good brake controller to help with trailer braking makes a world of difference when you get over the 5000lb range, especially coming down steeper slopes. I recently pulled a 15k gooseneck up and later back down a 13% grade and not only did I appreciate the power mods I've done but quickly appreciated the brake modifications coming down the hill.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:24 am

Forgive my late reponse, I thought I had responded but I didn’t.

Im not towing anything more than my boat or at least I don’t plan on towing anything other than that but I have been looking at a transmission cooler. At this point in the build $$$ started to add up quick and I am still finding things to do that I should wait on doing but I just want everything a certain way. more of a discrete way

But since I have your ear let me run this by you

I have a 38 gallon fuel tank but I saw that there is a 46 gallon fuel tank and was considering the upgrade BUT even if I didn’t do that I ( I had paid for aluminum skid plates from the front all the way to the fuel tank but asked for a refund because I want to go with stainless steel even though I am not rock crawling ) wanted to get some skid protection however I read that covering up stuff make stuff hotter which hurts the vehicle over all with heat retention.

IN my mind I would be going fast enough to cool off but seriously speaking do you think I would accumulate that much heat just driving with the skid plates? At this point I would just have to wait on the plates until I get the transmission cooler done.

I don’t think I have to skill to pull a gooseneck down a 3% grade let alone 13%. Well done to you Sir.

Lord willing I will see this before next month and for monitoring I have a banks I-DASH to help with what my aftermarket head unit doest with the added probes

Thanks again for the suggestions.