Got Smoked

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Got Smoked

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:36 pm

Well I told a story a while back about getting spooled at a college pond. That was with an UL rod though and only about 30m or so of line. Today was different. I fished the river below our damn, Lock 1 at Batesville. I caught a big ole drum first thing and a few bream throughout the day. Caught a little largemouth too. This is a spot where 2 women held the state record for walleye, and I personally caught about a 31.5" walleye I posted a while back there. Right around 8:45am I was throwing a Biffle Bug on an OMTD head, trying to target bass instead of little fish or trash fish (drum love Keitechs). I was using the Conquest, a 7'3"MH rod, and 14lb Shooter. I got a hit, set the hook, and could tell this was a very heavy fish.

Once it got mad I stood no chance. Whatever abomination this was had my 100HG screaming with almost 3/4 drag or more. I held onto it for a minute or two, but whatever fish this was wouldn't go far. It just kept going straight down and out into the current. Even though I couldn't gain on the fish, it was never more than 10ft away, just DEEP. The river is probably only about 12-15ft deep where I was, and the hit occurred in about 4ft of water.

Never saw it. Never felt anything close to this strong. This made the college pond fish feel like a minnow. I had both arms flexed holding the rod and couldn't steer whatever this was. The story ends with the line finally getting tight. I kept lifting and hand lining to try and feel the fish on, but I was wrapped up. I finally got back a limp line with no lure. Didn't get broken off straight up but got all twisted up in logs and stumps down there. I assume it was a big catfish, maybe a huge drum. I just keep hoping it wasn't some monster walleye and I lost it.

Just wanted to share this. I am sick over it right now. Just like many fisherman I have exaggerated a bit, but this story doesn't need it. I just got flat out whooped by something. Both the +31 inch walleye and big drum I have caught down there fought a bit, but nothing like this. This fish was on another level, again why I think it was a big catfish. I have caught 5-6lb flatheads on jigs and swore they were going to be 20lbs before I saw them. I am really tempted to set out some bank poles and limb lines to see if I can get my Biffle Bug back and get a glimpse of this White River monster...

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Got Smoked

Post by CGrinder » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:59 pm

I object to drum being called trash fish, even though it's common. Big river drum fight like hell. What sort of Keitech do yours eat? Ours up here enjoy a Baby Rage Craw on a football shakeyhead.

Do you have sturgeon?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:18 pm

CGrinder wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:59 pm
I object to drum being called trash fish, even though it's common. Big river drum fight like hell. What sort of Keitech do yours eat? Ours up here enjoy a Baby Rage Craw on a football shakeyhead.

Do you have sturgeon?
We do have sturgeon, but very rare. Weird you say that, was just talking to my dad about one he caught. Back to drum, they hit on Keitech's up to 4.3" for me. They hit jigs and creatures too. This story was a 4/0 OMTD Football head with a Black and red 4.25" Biffle Bug.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:20 pm

CGrinder wrote:

Do you have sturgeon?
We do have sturgeon, but very rare. Weird you say that, was just talking to my dad about one he caught. Back to drum, they hit on Keitech's up to 4.3" for me. They hit jigs and creatures too. This story was a 4/0 OMTD Football head with a Black and red 4.25" Biffle Bug.

MeatHead
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MeatHead » Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:42 pm

Big flathead catfish maybe? Sucks you didn't get to at least get a glimpse of it. Always horrible to hook and lose a monster and not know what it even was.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:14 am

MeatHead wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:42 pm
Big flathead catfish maybe? Sucks you didn't get to at least get a glimpse of it. Always horrible to hook and lose a monster and not know what it even was.
Yeah as an angler it really bothers me. I will tell the story now tons of times, most people will probably think I had something big and just had my drag set too loose. Again, I wish everyone of you were there watching to confirm, but I could not control or turn this fish at all with 14lb line and a MH rod. I stood ZERO chance. I was hoping it was headed to depths for open water, didn't even know there were trees/snags out that far in the river.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:48 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:20 pm
CGrinder wrote:

Do you have sturgeon?
It would have to be a big Flathead or the most confused Sturgeon ever. I've turned big by-catch Pike on MH rods and fluoro so I imagine you would have managed a big Walleye or similar. Those OMTD Football heads look great; a sure upgrade from the VMC Rugby heads I currently use. Heck of a fish story, regardless.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:46 pm

CGrinder wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:48 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:20 pm
CGrinder wrote:

Do you have sturgeon?
It would have to be a big Flathead or the most confused Sturgeon ever. I've turned big by-catch Pike on MH rods and fluoro so I imagine you would have managed a big Walleye or similar. Those OMTD Football heads look great; a sure upgrade from the VMC Rugby heads I currently use. Heck of a fish story, regardless.
After losing 2 of the OMTD heads that day I switched to the Rugby heads. I know it is their gimmick, but I really don't like the point turned out to the side. Makes Texas rigging so much harder, and the point seems to make the plastic slide down the shank further...

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:07 pm

Has happened to me a time or two … No drum out here in New Jersey, the culprits were likely catfish or snakeheads. It’ll get your heart rate up for sure :shock:

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:08 am

uljersey wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:07 pm
Has happened to me a time or two … No drum out here in New Jersey, the culprits were likely catfish or snakeheads. It’ll get your heart rate up for sure :shock:
I was for sure racy during this one. If it was a drum or catfish, I still wish I had landed or even seen it, but by some miraculous chance it was a walleye, I'd be sick. I just do not see even a world record walleye pulling like this. I still cannot stop thinking about this. Thinking maybe I should have pulled harder. I let the fish go to deeper water thinking I was safe and could play it, thought I was safe away from the logs and bank, and the dang thing pulled me into a log out in the current. Have some pictures to better explain the story coming.