The banana in the tali pipe

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The banana in the tali pipe

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:27 pm

Went to the water this weekend or the other day can’t really remember as my nights run into days but anyways my truck seemed it was working hard just to get up to speed. It was as if it was struggling although I was giving it gas.
Now I’ve done all sorts of work to this truck so I was thinking where do I start.
So the air side was good because I cleaned the filter myself. Spark plugs were put in not too long ago and the wires are connected. I hate to think about another fuel pump. It’s work, not necessarily hard but certainly tedious.
Fuel pressure regulator valve is new
So I was tapped out and took it to the shop. Turns out my Catalytic converters
Are prohibiting the exhaust from exiting as it should.
I didn’t think it would be expensive but man. I think I’m going to call them tomorrow and tell them that I want my old ones.

If you ever have problems with your tow vehicle don’t over look the exhaust
I was hoping $2-400 would be sufficient but man was I wrong. I overlooked that part of the combustion system. To no negligence on my part in operation and upkeep of the vehicle just time and old age of the components. Suck though
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The banana in the tali pipe

Post by Slazmo » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:32 am

If your engine runs rich and you can visibly see a lot of black soot on the exhaust tip etc, you'll probably find the muffler, hot dogs and catalytic converter choked.

Always good to get a new exhaust system every 10 years (they're cheap enough) or have it inspected for carbon buildup which as you mentioned is killing the flow...

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:50 am

Slazmo wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:32 am
If your engine runs rich and you can visibly see a lot of black soot on the exhaust tip etc, you'll probably find the muffler, hot dogs and catalytic converter choked.

Always good to get a new exhaust system every 10 years (they're cheap enough) or have it inspected for carbon buildup which as you mentioned is killing the flow...
Good to know man.
I most certainly will moving forward. Now that you mentioned symptoms and indications. I didn’t see excessive fuel consumption but in hindsight I did hear rattling during start up. I was told when it got hot the thermo expansion would quite things down. I just thought the rattling was a loose bolt
I’m more aware now for sure
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:46 pm

I have had two vehicles where the honeycomb material in the catalytic converter had dislodged and nearly blocked the exhaust. it was a very noticeable drop in performance . And those things aren't cheap.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:15 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:46 pm
I have had two vehicles where the honeycomb material in the catalytic converter had dislodged and nearly blocked the exhaust. it was a very noticeable drop in performance . And those things aren't cheap.
Depending on the quality that you replace with, couple hundred or even go to a wreckers and cut one out.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:57 am

Slazmo wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:15 am
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:46 pm
Depending on the quality that you replace with, couple hundred or even go to a wreckers and cut one out.
It’s too the point that when something does happen I hate to tell my wife.
I did get the exhaust fixed. It was rather expensive. I had contemplated just cutting them out or gutting them all together but I received information from a good friend of mine that insisted that I would be doing more harm than good.

Side note
People have stated that they had broken down on the side of the road and left their vehicle just to return and find that someone had cut out the catalytic converters. That was mind blowing that people will do stuff like this. Who thinks of this stuff.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:10 pm

I've seen it before, god knows where but there's all manners of systems for protection of a cat...
Attachments
IMG_20200827_060538.jpg
IMG_20200827_060538.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 4725 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:17 am

:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 am

Catalytic converters contain a good amount of platinum(anywhere from 3 to 7 grams), which is why they are so pricey. That's roughly $100-$200 at current market conditions.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:55 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:02 am
Catalytic converters contain a good amount of platinum(anywhere from 3 to 7 grams), which is why they are so pricey. That's roughly $100-$200 at current market conditions.
Probably should have kept my old parts.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:09 am

There are thieves who specialize in cutting the catalyst mufflers off of diesel trucks for the precious metals within.