Offroad Enthusiasts – Advice Needed

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Offroad Enthusiasts – Advice Needed

Post by Mattman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:03 pm

Bumper/Winch advice…

I have a 1993 Nissan Hardbody SE-V6 King Cab. I’ve owned this truck since it was brand new and actually just retired it from street driving in 2011. At that time I bought a set of Firestone Destination MT’s and “retired” her to woods duty. I have 160 acres of heavily wooded hunting property with a small cabin. I use the truck to haul wood, haul deer feed, check trail cameras, etc. The property is fairly hilly (for Minnesota) with about 6 glacial ridgelines running thru it north to south. I have about 12 - 15 miles of groomed trail on the property. When conditions are really wet or icy or heavy snow, there are several sections of trail that become impassable. I typically need to go get the tractor a couple times a year to pull myself out of a very low traction off camber situation. So, I’m looking to get set up with a winch. Not only will that get me out of most every situation I’d find myself in, it will also be a good tool for keeping trees off the trail, etc.

Is anyone aware of a good aftermarket front bumper for a Nissan Hardbody, other than the ARB Deluxe? That bumper from ARB is great, but retails for about twice what I was hoping to spend. I’m looking for a bumper with winch mounting capability, tow/shackle points, etc. And hoping to stay closer to $500 than $1,000.

Any suggestions on an appropriate winch for that size of vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

nikbrewer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Offroad Enthusiasts – Advice Needed

Post by nikbrewer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:39 am

if its just for off road use only, have someone make one. Have a receiver mount welded to the front frame, and mount the winch on a pad that an fit into the receiver. That way you can move it from the front of the vehicle to the back if needed.

also, have you looked into adding front and rear lockers to the axles? If you have those, you may find you need a winch less often