need help picking sunglasses

pro reel
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

need help picking sunglasses

Post by pro reel » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:25 pm

I have a large head. I never thought I did but I must because every pair of glasses I ever pick up are tight against my temples and the ear bend starts before it gets to my ears unless it's extendable, which only seems to come on cheap models. I want a pair of top quality polarized glasses that are very light and fit good. Lets hear some specific models from others with same problem.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: need help picking sunglasses

Post by dhottle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:41 am

I just recently bought come prescription Costas. Best advice is to see an optical shop that stocks & sells them. They can help you get the right size frames for your face/head size. I went with a frame that wraps around & fits close to block out wind that dries your eyes after a day on the water. Glass is best for durability & scratch resistance. If your buying prescription lenses you need to chose what material works best for you based on thickness & weight. If you go to their web sites it gives a detailed explanation of what lens colors & finishes work best for blocking rays & getting the best polarization. Happy shopping.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:46 am

I have a pair of Fantail Costas with the 580 glass lens, green mirror. They are fantastic for BRIGHT sunny conditions. The 580 lens are super clear.

That being said, I tried a pair of Smith Colsons with the Chromapop Polarchromic Ignitor lenses. I love these sunglasses! They adjust for varying light conditions, something I find much more useful.

I have been treated fabulously by both companies customer service departments, so its a wash there. The most aggravating thing about Smiths is finding them to try on. The price for either pair was basically a wash too.

Good luck!

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:08 am

+1 for Costa sunglasses

I was in search for a quality pair of sunglasses a few months ago. Tried many brands and ended up getting the Costa Corbina 580P in green mirror. I went with the polycarbonate for weight savings. Tried the glass and although they weren't that much heavier, it was significant enough for me (cheaper too!). I wanted a great fit and tried many pairs of Costas before buying the Corbina. On the Costa website, look at the specs of each frame and the find the ones that best fit you. Some online retailers let you buy and return for free if the fit is not to your liking too if you can't find the frame locally. Good luck with your search!

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:58 am

I have a large head as well. Costa Fisch and Tuna Alley frames fit me well. If you decide on the Costas, go with the 580 glass lenses. The poly lenses are not even close in clarity. As said above, if you have an eyeglass store near you that carries them, visit them and try on a bunch.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:41 am

I'm a big Costa fan as well. My favorite frames are the Man-O-War, but they've sadly been discontinued. As others have mentioned, they have several frames for large headed folks. Try them on and see what you think. The Tackle Trap is a Tackle Tour sponsor and a Costa dealer. Tackle Tour members get a nice discount on their glasses. Call the shop for details - 256 281 6160 M-F 7am to 5pm.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 am

So far been liking my Eye Surrender glasses pretty well. Inexpensive, clear, and they'll replace them for $15-$20 no matter what happens if they break. Tim & Matt from Tactical Bassin like them and that's good enough for me. :D

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:06 pm

Costa with 580 glass lenses (saltbreak, Man-o-war, or Fisch fames fit my big head well), Revo, and Maui Jim are my favorite brands.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:24 pm

if you are going glass then Costas are the way to go imo, the 580 is a huge advantage. I would also second going to an optometrist. I use my eye care plan every few years to get a big discount on prescription polarized glasses even though I dont need prescription glasses, I can usually get beyond 20/20 which is great for sight fishing.

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:57 am

Depends on your style. The cleanest best quality lenses I've found are Smith ChromaPop polarized, Zeal's polarized lenses, and Vonzipper Wildlife seems to be the best I think.

Large frame/lenses:
Smith: Lowdown XL, Outlier XL Smith Colson are fishing specific look like Costa's
Zeal: Capitol, Brewer
Vonzipper: Maxis

Psy
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Psy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:58 am

MAKO Eyewear, excellent...scratch resistant.

My choice Mako Covert... :)

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dug » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:45 pm

I am a huge fan of the Wiley X Jake polarized emerald mirror amber lenses, they fit my big head well, have good clear lenses, are high impact Shatterproof Selenite™ Polycarbonate Lenses So if you ever get a lure to the head, it won't shatter then sunglasses. Unfortunately it looks like they stopped making the Jakes and replaced them with Knife Pol instead, which look almost the same.

Dug

drift123
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drift123 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:32 pm

Costa all the way. Find a local shop and check them out!

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Costa Reefton 580G
Smith Optics Guides Choice Chromapop+ or Polarchromic Techlite Glass

Those two, for a large head, may be some of the finest!

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:23 pm

I’ll jump in this as well costa but go to a huge Costa retailer and try on every pair bcos each one fits diffrently. Also look at the stems the ends are larger then others and certain lanyards won’t fit