I GOT TO MEET KEVIN VAN DAM, JIMMY HOUSTON, AND DWIGHT CLARK

The Pond King
Angler
Angler

I GOT TO MEET KEVIN VAN DAM, JIMMY HOUSTON, AND DWIGHT CLARK

Post by The Pond King » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:24 am

Yesterday, Bass Pro Shops had a grand opening in San Jose, California. This is a big deal because most BPS stores are on the eastern half of the US. To have one here at home in the Bay Area was something I've been waiting for well over a decade! I've never been to a BPS store before until yesterday, and let me tell you, it is the best outdoors store you will ever go to. There simply isn't a better outdoors store that can compete with it. Big 5, Sport Authority, REI, Dicks, Outdoor Pro Shop, and local tackle shops are nothing in comparison to the grandeur of Bass Pro Shops. Don't get me wrong, I'll still always support my local tackle shops because there are certain items available at local tackle shops that aren't available at BPS, and the staff at local shops usually have valuable information about the fishing spots that area in the area.

But BPS is humongous. They have it all decked out with a fish tank, herds of stuffed deers, top of line fishing boats on display, and much much more. It's something you have go see in person and experience. Words can't describe it and pics wouldn't do it justice. I won't post pics of the interior so as to not spoil it for anyone. Go check it out yourself!

The highlight of going to the grand opening was being able to meet Kevin Van Dam. I'm fishing fanatic, so to meet Kevin Van Dam was like a dream come true. I would've never imagine having the opportunity in my life to meet the Michael Jordan of bass fishing! I also got to meet Jimmy Houston "America's Favorite Fisherman", the famous and entertaining bass fishing TV host, and met Ish Monroe as well. Last but not least, I got to meet Dwight Clark, the former 49ers wide receiver famous for "the catch" he caught from Joe Montana.

To be honest, I'm not that big of a football fan. Sure. I like it, but not as much as I like fishing. So for me meeting Kevin Van Dam was way more thrilling than meeting Dwight Clark. I've already met Jerry Rice and Jeff Garcia earlier in the year at a bar, so meeting Dwight wasn't that big of a deal.

I brought Kevin's "Secret of a Champion" book with me, and he signed it. Ish who was sitting next to him looked at the cover photo of Kevin on the book, and joked, "Man, that must've been twenty years ago!" and we all laughed. I also got Dwight's, Jimmy's, and Ish's autographs too.

Here the pics I took with my idols:

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: I GOT TO MEET KEVIN VAN DAM, JIMMY HOUSTON, AND DWIGHT C

Post by BigG » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:09 am

:welc: To TT, best tackle forum ever.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Jeez you must have been excited. =D> So what were your impressions of the rods you purchased? :lol: :lol:

Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hennessy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:27 pm

Bassmar wrote:Jeez you must have been excited. =D> So what were your impressions of the rods you purchased? :lol: :lol:
=D> =D> =D>

TOPWATER
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by TOPWATER » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:23 pm

I might have been more interested in meeting the beautiful young women next to Kevin. 8-)

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:09 pm

BPS is a pretty cool store. I personally prefer Cabelas, but Gander and BPS get my business as well.

Meeting those guys would be cool, but going fishing with a couple pros is my dream.

Oh, and welcome to the forum (if you aren't already a long time lurker)!

DaveJ

rich in co
Angler
Angler

Post by rich in co » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:58 pm

I'm with Topwater the 2 hotties left of KVD is who I would want to meet

bigbaitfishing
Angler
Angler

Post by bigbaitfishing » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:30 am

i met and talked to Jimmy Houston at a bassathon , really nice guy and hilarious !!!

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:43 am

Witness protection?

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:55 am

Glad you had a good time. BPS is a great store. They will carry stuff a lot of the locals shops won't carry but on the other hand the local shops will carry a lot more specialty items. I think it's a great balance.

I would have introduced myself to Larysa from Larysa Unleashed. The cute blonde that has her own fishing show and loves the outdoors. The other guys are ok to., I have met them before. \:D/

iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by iliketofishman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:56 pm

KVD is my favorite angler. One day I hope to meet him.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:36 am

Well that's one hell of an introduction lol.. welcome!

humph005
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by humph005 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:53 pm

I saw Jimmy Houston in the bathroom at the Bassmasters Classic in Birmingham a few years back. He apparently was taking a break between fishing demonstrations at the big fish tank, and brought a rod and reel into the bathroom and propped it against the wall while he used the facilities. A guy walked in and saw the rod and Jimmy and said " what kinda fish are you trying to catch in here, Jimmy?" The 4 or 5 of us in the bathroom all had a good laugh, including Jimmy.