Remember when! Boat owners please chime in.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Remember when! Boat owners please chime in.

Post by lpquick » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 am

I am about to purchase my first boat and I’m looking for help from all the experienced boat owners out there. What is a must have that you wish you included in your purchase. What did you buy that turns out is a waste of money. What things to beware of if anything.
I’m buying a 2015 NauticStar 2200 Sport Bay Boat with a 200 Yamaha four stroke. Two live wells, dual batteries, two forward rod storage lockers, center console, led lighting, built in bait bucket well, SST rod holders, galvanized trailer with brakes and more. Help me out everyone I want to learn from your experiences.

Thank you!

Lon

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Remember when! Boat owners please chime in.

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:53 am

What kind of fishing will you be doing?
I'm primarily a bass fisherman, but inshore reds and speck fishing looks similar. If that's the case, I'd get the biggest, baddest 36V trolling motor, Minn Kota being my preference. You can never have too much trolling motor power. I'd also look real seriously at getting at least one Powerpole.
Electronics wise, I love my Lowrance Structure Scan. If I was primarily fishing shallow water(<8'), just a decent GPS/Downscan or conventional sonar would be adequate. Biggest screen you can afford. Especially if you do opt for side imaging/structure scan.

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:19 am

Being right down the road from you Lon near similar waters (Big Lake / Calcasieu Lake) with many friends owning boats like you are considering I'd make only one recommendation. If your not going to keep your boat in a boat house on the water and have to trailer to and from brackish/salt water .... Get an aluminum trailer if it's available with your package and within the budget.
From what I gather hearing it over and over ... "I wish I would have got it with an aluminum trailer" it supposedly prolongs having to purchase another trailer if your planning on keeping it for a length of time from corrosion (weld points mainly) and helps with resale value and cosmetics if you plan on purchasing another every few years. Also cleaning a aluminum trailer is suppsidly easier than a galvanized. Galvanized coating being somewhat a little more porous vs. aluminum being slick.
I have a galvanized trailer and use my Xpress boat a few times a year in brackish around Prien Lake and the welds are the only place that show signs of some corrosion. Also the galvanized beams have discoloration to them from it as well and won't scrub off.
Personally after seeing my trailer and hearing the others if I was in a position to purchase anther boat to chase specks and reds I'd make sure it had an aluminum trailer.
I am a bit OCD so others may think I'm stretching it a little bit but it's what I would do.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy !

I'm a bit Jealous ... but please post pics when you get that beauty ! :lol:

Jeff

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:32 am

KlingerNOK wrote:What kind of fishing will you be doing?
I'm primarily a bass fisherman, but inshore reds and speck fishing looks similar. If that's the case, I'd get the biggest, baddest 36V trolling motor, Minn Kota being my preference. You can never have too much trolling motor power. I'd also look real seriously at getting at least one Powerpole.
Electronics wise, I love my Lowrance Structure Scan. If I was primarily fishing shallow water(<8'), just a decent GPS/Downscan or conventional sonar would be adequate. Biggest screen you can afford. Especially if you do opt for side imaging/structure scan.

Budget allowing ... X2 on a 36v trolling motor of the brand of your choice. I echo the statement of you can not have too much trolling motor power. You can dial down when you don't need it but can not dial up past its rating if you don't have it and do need it! Happens more than you would think on windy days on open water. Plus 36v seems to run very efficient and makes for power on demand all day long instead of what I call that late afternoon 3 p.m. sluggish feel in your TM after a all day trip.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:38 am

Buy the biggest motor the boat is rated for. I also agree about getting a 36 volt trolling motor up front. You'll be glad you did when the wind kicks up. I have a Merc with smart gauges in the dash. Good gauges are a must either mounted in the dash or through NMEA on your electronics. I like to constantly monitor my water pressure and temp. Also, a dual axle trailer is great if you tow long distances. They are safer and tow better but cost twice as much to maintain. Good luck with your purchase.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:56 am

Well, this may not be a popular opinion, but here goes anyways....
If I had to do it all over, Id stick with kayak fishing, and not even buy the boat. Always something to deal with, something to spend on, trailering is a PITA, etc...the widely known acronym for B.O.A.T. is oh so true.."break out another thousand"

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:41 am

One thing I would highly recommend is having a shakedown ride scheduled with the dealer when taking possession of the boat. There is almost always something that isn't perfect the first time on the water. Having the dealer along to help with whatever comes up and ensure that anything that can't be corrected on the water is done the next day really helps. I would say this is even more important if you are a first time boat owner.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:29 am

Farnorth wrote:One thing I would highly recommend is having a shakedown ride scheduled with the dealer when taking possession of the boat. There is almost always something that isn't perfect the first time on the water. Having the dealer along to help with whatever comes up and ensure that anything that can't be corrected on the water is done the next day really helps. I would say this is even more important if you are a first time boat owner.
Very true! There are always a few kinks to work out. A good reputable dealer that has a well qualified technician is as important as the boat itself.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:51 am

Awesome information from everyone, lots of things I would of never of thought about until after the fact or not at all. Deal is done, next week I take possession of a brand new 2015 NauticStar 2200 Sport bay boat (22 1/2’), with a new 2015 inline-four, four stroke F200 Yamaha. 2 live bait wells fore and aft. Full color upgrade, Deluxe leaning post, Dual cranking batteries with switch, hydraulic steering, trim gauge, water pressure gauge, Lowrance Elite7, Minn Kota Riptide ST 112/CP/AP 112# thrust, 60” shaft 36 volt trolling motor with I pilot remote, Stainles rod holders, 3 deluxe chairs, 10’ Blade power pole & an aluminum Magic Tilt twin axle boat trailer with disc brakes. Oh I almost forgot the standard cooler is being replaced with a Yeti. I’ll load a couple before and after photos so you can see why I am so excited. I can’t thank everyone enough for their sound advice. I still have a few days before delivery so keep your thoughts and idea’s coming please.
Before.JPG
Before.JPG (47.87 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
Black Beauty.JPG
Amelia Special
Black Beauty.JPG (95.66 KiB) Viewed 7086 times
Thanks,
Lon

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:11 pm

At a minimum for reds and specks you need a good pole anchor of some kind. While power poles are the bees knees, I used a manual pole anchor when I was in Florida, biggest benefit is if you know you wont use it you can leave it at home, the mount was never a big deal. Get the biggest trolling motor you can, be willing to talk to other owners or test where the best place to put the batteries will be. Get a rope for launching a minimum of twice as long as your trailer, I know in Florida most ramps were marked no power loading so a good rope will make your life easier. I also liked to wax my bunks after I launched my boat the first time, makes loading and unloading a breeze. WARNING!!!! if you do this DO NOT UNHOOK OR LOOSEN THE STRAP WHEN LAUNCHING THE BOAT!!! I have seen guys dump their boats on the ramp when they have slick bunks hehe.

Practice, practice, practice your cast net!!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:22 pm

A full windshield

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:01 pm

Getting a new boat is so exiting!!! It will give you years of pleasure. Congrats on your purchase.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:14 pm

Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback, I really appreciate it. Here she is taking me where I want to go when I want to go!!!
Amelia copy.jpg
Amelia copy.jpg (77.32 KiB) Viewed 6947 times
Last edited by lpquick on Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Walsh
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Eric Walsh » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:06 pm

You look right at home there fella! :lol: She's a beaut, you're going to have some big time memories in that set-up. =D>

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:02 am

Congrats in the biggest way Lon ! =D> =D> =D>

She's a beauty for sure !

I was trying to zoom in and see which combos made the cut for the trip. But the older I get my eyes .... Well :lol:

Enjoy !

Jeff