Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

User avatar
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by Gabriel » Thu May 16, 2013 9:58 am

I know this is a fishing forum but since most of us are sportsmen I figure this might interest some of you. I hope I'm not breaking any rules.
I will start with some info on the gun. It's a Early 2000's Ruger 10/22, with an 18" barrel.
I received my 10/22 as a birthday present about a year before I took my firearms safety course. At ten years old I remember the gun being heavy but a lot of fun. It wore a satin stainless finish back then and a medium dark birch stock. It has approximately 6000 rounds through it and runs like a champ. It has been generally abused since I got it and about a month ago I decided to fix it up.

Image
Image
Image
Image

Mods include a Tapco 6 Position stock, weaver tactical scope mount, a BSA 3 color dot site, and a Magpul vertical foregrip. I polished it by hand to a high gloss finish.
Internally it is almost completely hand polished and has a slight trigger job that brings the trigger down to a very usable 5 pounds. It also has a polymer recoil buffer and is fed by a Ruger BX25 magazine. I only have one currently, my old standby butler creek mag wore out no to long ago.

I shot it today with my friend and we blew through about 350 rounds in a couple hours. It is unbelievable fun and pretty cheap if you can actually find ammo these days. If you could find a stainless version today (they are out of production except for distributed exclusives) you could build one for about $160 on top of what the rifle costs.
Last edited by Gabriel on Thu May 16, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 5164
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am

The Mini-14 is among my favorite "fun" shooting rifles. Deadly accurate right out of the box, too.

User avatar
even26
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 551
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:31 am
Location: s.f.

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by even26 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 pm

nice work! =D>

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:43 am

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by mrpao » Thu May 16, 2013 12:23 pm

That thing looks sweet. Great work.

User avatar
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by Gabriel » Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks guys, I put a lot of effort into it and support makes me feel good about it.
hoohoorjoo wrote:The Mini-14 is among my favorite "fun" shooting rifles. Deadly accurate right out of the box, too.
The Mini 14 is on my radar for my next rifle. I realized I forgot to say that is is a ruger 10/22. I will edit the original post.

User avatar
DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:12 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Thu May 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Gabriel wrote:Thanks guys, I put a lot of effort into it and support makes me feel good about it.
hoohoorjoo wrote:The Mini-14 is among my favorite "fun" shooting rifles. Deadly accurate right out of the box, too.
The Mini 14 is on my radar for my next rifle. I realized I forgot to say that is is a ruger 10/22. I will edit the original post.
Very nice work you did here brotha!

Another rifle I would look into if I were you is the .17 HMR. I have the Savage Arms model 93R17 BTVS and it is absolutely amazing. Stainless steel bull barrel and beautiful wood laminate thumb hole stock. I've got a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on it and can get 1-1.5 inch MOA groups at 300 yards (no wind). It's a really fun little caliber and has a lot more range than the .22lr , very nice for varmint hunting.

I'll post a pic if ya want me to but I don't want to hijack the thread and having everyone post pictures of their rifles.

Lovin' all the custom work you did on that Ruger, thanks for sharing!

-Jason

User avatar
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by Gabriel » Thu May 16, 2013 4:05 pm

DE_Bass_Enthusiast wrote: Very nice work you did here brotha!

Another rifle I would look into if I were you is the .17 HMR. I have the Savage Arms model 93R17 BTVS and it is absolutely amazing. Stainless steel bull barrel and beautiful wood laminate thumb hole stock. I've got a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on it and can get 1-1.5 inch MOA groups at 300 yards (no wind). It's a really fun little caliber and has a lot more range than the .22lr , very nice for varmint hunting.

I'll post a pic if ya want me to but I don't want to hijack the thread and having everyone post pictures of their rifles.

Lovin' all the custom work you did on that Ruger, thanks for sharing!

-Jason
Post anything you want man. I have had my eye on a savage .17 or .22 mag for awhile, I know the exact gun you are talking about having fondled one many times in the gun shop. I rarely hunt small game anymore so the Mini 14 makes more sense to me for an everyday fun rifle that isn't an AR15. I have nothing against the AR but I just want an Mini 14, I can get a good deal through work on one too. I just like to shoot around and practice on interesting targets. Maybe a impromptu run and gun every now and then.

User avatar
DE_Bass_Enthusiast
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:12 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by DE_Bass_Enthusiast » Thu May 16, 2013 4:47 pm

Gabriel wrote:
DE_Bass_Enthusiast wrote: Very nice work you did here brotha!

Another rifle I would look into if I were you is the .17 HMR. I have the Savage Arms model 93R17 BTVS and it is absolutely amazing. Stainless steel bull barrel and beautiful wood laminate thumb hole stock. I've got a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on it and can get 1-1.5 inch MOA groups at 300 yards (no wind). It's a really fun little caliber and has a lot more range than the .22lr , very nice for varmint hunting.

I'll post a pic if ya want me to but I don't want to hijack the thread and having everyone post pictures of their rifles.

Lovin' all the custom work you did on that Ruger, thanks for sharing!

-Jason
Post anything you want man. I have had my eye on a savage .17 or .22 mag for awhile, I know the exact gun you are talking about having fondled one many times in the gun shop. I rarely hunt small game anymore so the Mini 14 makes more sense to me for an everyday fun rifle that isn't an AR15. I have nothing against the AR but I just want an Mini 14, I can get a good deal through work on one too. I just like to shoot around and practice on interesting targets. Maybe a impromptu run and gun every now and then.
If you can get a good deal on a Mini 14 I'd jump on it, they are impossible to find where I am at the moment :-k
.223 is virtually extinct around here as well lol, if you find it there is generally a 2 box per customer limit and the price is jacked sky high :oops:

The gun I have is more of a target shooting gun than a hunting gun though, the heavy barrel puts it close to 8 pounds and it gets old lugging it through the woods all day (a sling is a must). It is deadly accurate though :big grin:

Next thing on my list is a bipod for it, I think that would help a lot. Tomorrow I'll try to take some better pics because right now all I have is poop quality phone pictures :lol:

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1465
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:20 am
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by JWR075 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:02 pm

Gabriel wrote:
DE_Bass_Enthusiast wrote: Very nice work you did here brotha!

Another rifle I would look into if I were you is the .17 HMR. I have the Savage Arms model 93R17 BTVS and it is absolutely amazing. Stainless steel bull barrel and beautiful wood laminate thumb hole stock. I've got a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on it and can get 1-1.5 inch MOA groups at 300 yards (no wind). It's a really fun little caliber and has a lot more range than the .22lr , very nice for varmint hunting.

I'll post a pic if ya want me to but I don't want to hijack the thread and having everyone post pictures of their rifles.

Lovin' all the custom work you did on that Ruger, thanks for sharing!

-Jason
Post anything you want man. I have had my eye on a savage .17 or .22 mag for awhile, I know the exact gun you are talking about having fondled one many times in the gun shop. I rarely hunt small game anymore so the Mini 14 makes more sense to me for an everyday fun rifle that isn't an AR15. I have nothing against the AR but I just want an Mini 14, I can get a good deal through work on one too. I just like to shoot around and practice on interesting targets. Maybe a impromptu run and gun every now and then.
If you like the 17hmr, take a look at the new 17wsm. it will push a 20grain bullet at 3,000 fps.

User avatar
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1108
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:16 pm
Location: Millington TN.

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by angry john » Fri May 17, 2013 12:55 am

The 204 is supper popular for small bullets and may be easier to find!

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 am

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by damian_megabass » Fri May 17, 2013 3:42 am

not bad but i find .22LR's VERY boring to shoot, even as target practice.

I prefer to shoot my AR, but I've stopped because finding ammo is as rare as fishing with KVD for a week.

I even stopped shooting my G23 and 1911....

User avatar
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2135
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location: In the belly of a shark

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by spookybaits » Fri May 17, 2013 4:59 am

Oh she's purdy!
I love 10/22's. By far one of the coolest guns out there. Tons of inexpensive (& expensive) aftermarket parts, cheap to shoot, and they just keep on going.

As for mini 14's (and the 5.56/.223 round in general), not a fan.
7.62x51 is your friend :)

User avatar
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 497
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by Gabriel » Fri May 17, 2013 7:36 am

spookybaits wrote:Oh she's purdy!
I love 10/22's. By far one of the coolest guns out there. Tons of inexpensive (& expensive) aftermarket parts, cheap to shoot, and they just keep on going.

As for mini 14's (and the 5.56/.223 round in general), not a fan.
7.62x51 is your friend :)
Thanks a lot :D
10/22's and AR15's are the small block chevy's of guns, tons of them out there. Fairly cheap and easy to work on a tune up.

I have a 30-06 that fills my big game hunting role. I am just looking for a more groan up version of the 10 22 that I can have a little fun with. .223/5.56 isn't a bad round under the 300 yard mark for most game in my area. After 300 it loses it's "explosiveness" and often ice picks leaving the target wounded rather than dead. Long story short, I have wanted a mini 14 for quite some time and I know the down sides of the 5.56 and the Mini 14 for that matter.

User avatar
mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8689
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Lake Leon, Texas

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by mhood » Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 pm

I moved this one to Everything Else because it wasn't fishing related.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 8845
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:23 am
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: Fishing is bad, so I modded my old Ruger.

Post by dragon1 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:55 am

Awesome work Gabriel and thanks for sharing.

Very affordable fun for sure.

Post Reply