No longer under the morgage. Now what?

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

No longer under the morgage. Now what?

Post by tonym » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:39 pm

House is paid. I'm still young. Now what?
Another couple of months and I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... 8-)

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: No longer under the morgage. Now what?

Post by Scot » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:57 am

Congratulations....that's awesome!

I say take a cool trip in the spring and then pocket some cash for the next couple of years....9 years and I own mine too.....gotta' love that fifteen year mortgage :)

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:13 am

tonym wrote:Another couple of months and I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... 8-)

Not exactly...I sunk a boatload of cash into our new house and only borrowed $45K on a veteran's 15 year loan program (because I got it at 4.05% simple) and the escrow payment for taxes and insurance *exceeds* my monthly principal + interest loan payment. Factor in the utilities and a paid for house can still be expensive. :shock:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:52 am

mhood wrote:
tonym wrote:Another couple of months and I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... 8-)

Not exactly...I sunk a boatload of cash into our new house and only borrowed $45K on a veteran's 15 year loan program (because I got it at 4.05% simple) and the escrow payment for taxes and insurance *exceeds* my monthly principal + interest loan payment. Factor in the utilities and a paid for house can still be expensive. :shock:
mhood.
You got that right. Especially here in Kootenai county. Property taxes have quadrupled in the last couple years due to the influx of out of staters and the custom, multi million dollar lake homes they are building. Which is great for me. My job depends on these folks.
But considering I have a 30yr mortgage and it's paid in 10... 8-)
I never did let that bait monkey take control. :evil: Probably why my house is paid and I still don't own a boat. ;) Oh well. I can afford one now. :lol:

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:07 am

Well then, congratulations young man...you done goooooood!!!! Now go get yourself a boat. I hear you can get a Basscat financed for 15 years now. :lol:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:33 am

Maybe you'll become a regular post-er in the enthusiast tackle forum now... :lol: one day I will too [-o<

Ryan
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:53 am

mhood wrote:Well then, congratulations young man...you done goooooood!!!! Now go get yourself a boat. I hear you can get a Basscat financed for 15 years now. :lol:
HAAAAAAAAAAAA. :lol: Out of the frying pan and into the fire eh? :| Nope. Not for me. I'll buy used and pay cash. 8-) Besides my buddy just bought a nice Starcraft so I'll just keep splitting the fuel cost with him for a bit. :P

mrgadget
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by mrgadget » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:34 pm

tonym wrote:
mhood wrote:Well then, congratulations young man...you done goooooood!!!! Now go get yourself a boat. I hear you can get a Basscat financed for 15 years now. :lol:
HAAAAAAAAAAAA. :lol: Out of the frying pan and into the fire eh? :| Nope. Not for me. I'll buy used and pay cash. 8-) Besides my buddy just bought a nice Starcraft so I'll just keep splitting the fuel cost with him for a bit. :P
Good judgement on your part, for sure. As Dave Ramsey continually cautions people: "Do not use debt to purchase anything that depreciates in value" .... and that applies to vehicles too!

JMHO, Gadget

Scot
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Scot » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:44 pm

They offered me a 12 year note when I bought mine....I took a four year note but I also had a paid-for trade + cash.

Ten years on a thirty year note :shock: ....man...you are determined..good job! Glad to see somebody else doesn't believe in the 'ol spend a dollar to save thirty-cents mentality....I've yet to be convinced on that one :lol:

A small getaway cabin on a lake would be cool...ESPECIALLY where you live...I love it there.

My Insurance and taxes in escrow = 400+ a month :x

tonym
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tonym » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Scot wrote: A small getaway cabin on a lake would be cool...ESPECIALLY where you live...I love it there.

My Insurance and taxes in escrow = 400+ a month :x
Which is why I'll never own a cabin on the lake. Property taxes here have skyrocketed.
My house 5 yrs ago was appraised @ $82,000. This year it appraised @ $138,000. Go figure.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:57 pm

good deal.

nothing like an anchor without a chain...paid ours off 5 years ago when i retired...about the time the kids decided they would get out of it and buy their own.

now, i'm out spending their inheritance as fast as i can...("yessir, i'll take 4 of them ito's and six of them elseil deals.")

it's for the grandkids, you know. :big grin:

seriously, just have fun with it for awhile...trust me, it won't be long before you figure out where to put your money.