South Texas Gator

septik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

South Texas Gator

Post by septik » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:15 pm

I went fishing at Choke Canyon today, and found this big 'ol guy in the back of a cove:

He had to have gone 15 ft or more. Definitely cuts down on the jet skiers!

--Casey

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: South Texas Gator

Post by Zman » Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:29 pm

I had no idea they made them that big. Guess it is Texas. Any chance that was two gators following each other?

I still can't believe there are gators here in NC. I never had to worry about that before, but now i'm always on edge when shore fishing. I'm deep in the woods and every twig that snaps I'm expecting to be mauled by a gator, a black bear or a snake falling from a tree.

None of the bass guys I talk to will go in after a snag in the trees. They say it's pretty common to have venemous snakes fall into boats from overhanging limbs. Man fishing can be dangerous sometimes. :shock:

sdesign
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by sdesign » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:05 pm

Nice Casey... did you try throwin' a buzzbait at her? ;) :twisted:

dinengurth
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinengurth » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:49 am

Man it's a good thing that gator wasn't spotted here. It's gator season right now over here, and it would have alot of hunters after it. Most of the gators caught here range between 6 and 14' long. I tell you what, if you haven't had the chance, try some fried gator, awesome stuff.

take it easy

Lightninrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Lightninrod » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:34 pm

I've seen two 'gators in the swamp pond I frequent :) ; one is(was) 5-6' long but the owner 'harvested' it a few weeks ago and a 9-10'(4' across ber back?) that is still roaming the swamp. I'll try to get a pic the next time I see her.

I remember one time(the last!) when fishing in a small lake near Macon, GA, when a 'gator as big as that one in the pic started 'cruising' past me and my little 10'x4' Basshunter pond-boat. Now, she was 50 yards away but she surely put a damper on my fishin' that day. Yep, I left not long after I saw her :D .

Dan

dinengurth
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dinengurth » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:24 pm

That happened to me yesterday. I was being followed by a gator(~4ft). Every where I'd go, he'd swim right along. Apparently it was hungry b/c he beelined towards every disturbance in the water.

take it easy

Rebbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rebbasser » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:20 pm

Dang, septik, I was planning on heading to Choke either this or next Saturday-maybe I ought to reconsider........? NAAAAAAAAAAA, I'll risk it to fish that lake!