Fishing Line Choices

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
vanderty
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Fishing Line Choices

Post by vanderty » Thu May 01, 2003 10:02 pm

Hello all,

I'm sure this subject has been talked over to death (hopefully not) but since I'm a newbie maybe I could get your opinions.
First off, I've been an avid fan of Stren MagnaThin for the past 5 years (8-lb. clear) for my spinning combo for finessing bass. Recently my Magnathin began to fail me. Switched to my other new spools, same trouble. NO knot strength at all!!! Speaking with a local tackle shop about the problem, they informed me that Stren hasn't produced Magnathin for something like 3 years and the trouble I way having was do to age??? Is this true?? It is still sold by BassPro and other major stores...hmmm. I ended up switching to a line that I saw reviewed here, Suffix DNA. Again I went with 8-lb. The line is good, strong, great knot strength, limited stretch, but its diameter is much larger than magnathin, which definitely limits my weightless worm casting. Any suggestions on a "thin" line similar to Magnathin but has the versatility of the DNA???
Thanks,
Ty

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Fishing Line Choices

Post by bitesize » Fri May 02, 2003 1:18 pm

Umm, how about Maxima? Or Trilene XL? Actually, I don't really like XL anymore because it does not last me even half season. The line dries fast. I have also tried DNA after reading the review and I have been using that. Maybe downsize from 8lb to 6lb test for finesse worming? Just don't haul the fish in like you would with 8lb test. :D

BOX-22
Angler
Angler

Post by BOX-22 » Mon May 05, 2003 7:14 pm

I've become rather discouraged myself with the Trilene XL. The shad run is just about over here in VA and I can't tell you how many spoons (and fish) I've lost due to line snaps. The James river has some highly abrasive rocks and shreds the XL to pieces. I'm have to cut and re-tie several times per trip to curb my losses. ( $2.50 a pop is kinda rough! :D )

(Nice site/forum by the way... great info here.)

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Mon May 05, 2003 9:40 pm

What line do you use now?

BOX-22
Angler
Angler

Post by BOX-22 » Tue May 06, 2003 5:59 am

I haven't switched yet. This is my third season using XL and I just haven't tried anything new. Where I usually fish, I don't have as many problems with abrasion. The shad run only lasts a couple of weeks so I didn't want to switch right in the middle and be disappointed.

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Tue May 06, 2003 7:46 am

I don't use Magnathin, but it is still in the BPS 2003 master catalog. I find it hard to believe that Stren are no longer producing it, if BPS is still carrying it. Maybe the stock on the shelves where you bought it was old.

For most of the monofilament fishing I do, I use Trilene Big Game, Excaliber and Silverthread but mainly in 20 lb test and up. For my lighter lines, I have been using Trilene XL also, but here in the Amazon I don't find as much use for light lines as I did when living up in Texas or Alaska. :)

I prefer the superbraids and they are very thin in all weight catagories. I use mostly PowerPro in 50-80 lb test and they are thinner for comparable strength than many of the others. Have you tried a light superbraid? PowerPro's 10 lb test superbraid has the same diameter as 2 lb test mono. Superbraids have no line memory and cast really good. Abrasion resistance isn't as good as some of the new tougher monos or flourocarbons, but outside of rocks and coral they hold up well. Cost is about comparable to flourocarbon on most brands.

Mike

maxilim
Angler
Angler

Post by maxilim » Tue May 06, 2003 8:18 am

If you are looking for the thinnest line around, you may have to look towards Japanese made lines. Yes the are expensive but they are the thinnest. I picked up some Jinkai lines, $25 / 500yds 12 lb at .26mm (.010) diamemter. Yes their 12lb has a diameter of a 10lb XL but look at that price, ouch.

For spinning rigs, XL, Sensation, Perfexion, DNA are great lines. Stren i avoid like the plague, but that is just my experience. I have to agree with bitesize, try 6 lb line instead but go to a beefier line like P-line CXX, Izorline Platinum, sufix tritanium +, McCoy mean Grean, etc. The last 2 have a silicone coating for easier and longer casting.

I remember a guy in our club caught a 12lb Largemouth on 6 lb. P-line CXX. Photo below and no that is not me :(....

http://www.southocbass.com/photo/images ... h1_jpg.jpg

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Tue May 06, 2003 10:29 am

Wow! That's thin for that pound test! But is it really worth it?
I guess that's up to the user.

Where do you order those lines from?

maxilim
Angler
Angler

Post by maxilim » Tue May 06, 2003 10:58 am

I got the 12lb from JNJ tackle in Rosemead, CA. But i think you can get them online from tackel direct at

http://fishingtackle-online1.com/jinkai-fishing-line/

The line was made for saltwater but Ivan at JNJ swear by the stuff. Unfortunately i have yet to use it. Casting around the house, I must say it is really limp, better than XL. I just don't know the strength and abrasion resistance.

Also i goofed... the 12lb is at .28mm, the 10lb is at .26. But the 12lb is the same diameter as 10lb XL and the 10lb is the same diameter 8LB XL.

vanderty
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by vanderty » Tue May 06, 2003 7:50 pm

It is possible that the Stren I perchased was old but it came from BPS. I think I'll defintely look into some of the lines suggested. I really like the thin lines for casting light tackle...further casts, less drag, more senstive..but it's no more Magnathin for me.
Thanks again,
Ty

Post by Guest » Wed May 07, 2003 8:54 am

MigueldaMata wrote:
PowerPro's 10 lb test superbraid has the same diameter as 2 lb test mono. Superbraids have no line memory and cast really good. Abrasion resistance isn't as good as some of the new tougher monos or flourocarbonsMike
Ok, I use Tuf-Line Plus, Western Filement, in 30lb as backing on all my fly reels, doubles my capacity over dacron. I never considered this type of line for a spinning reel. I spooled my light reel last year with Trilene Performance 4 lb. Liked it xcept for line twist would eventually create issues. Respooled with Perfexion 4 lb and had all kinds of knot strength problems. JIP in fact bought some of this and tested it and found no issues, so it looks like an anomaly, old line or a bad mix.

So I've spooled up some XL. Of these three lines, the Perfexion is definately the casting distance champion by a good margin and also the thinnest, increasing capacity. So I'm wondering is anyone has tried any of the Super Braids with spinning gear. At 2 pound mono size with 10 lb rating and the super slick nature of this stuff it would seem that casting distance would be superb and capacity would be WOW.

I think I'll grab a chunk of this Tuf-Line and twist hell out of it and see how much it can take before getting knarly.

maxilim
Angler
Angler

Post by maxilim » Thu May 08, 2003 1:52 pm

Vanderty,

If your still interested eangler is getting the magnathin line I found it on Eangler.com's website.

http://www.eangler.com/eangler/proshop/ ... ept_id=152

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Thu May 08, 2003 2:51 pm

Maybe it's your local shop that won't carry them anymore
because I see them online and on Stren's website still.

wandy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wandy » Sat May 17, 2003 10:31 am

TigerCrane
Angler
Angler

Post by TigerCrane » Tue May 20, 2003 1:07 am

Hi there, new to the site(great site by the way) and fairly new to fishing. I have been reading up on it A LOT the past week and am learning quite fast. I came accross some line that caught my eye and was wondering if it is any good. The name of it is Vanish Fluorocarbon Fishing Line by Berkley. If anyone has used it and could share thier experiences it would be much appreciated(this would be for a spinning rig).