Fishing Line Choices

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fishing Line Choices

Post by Jinz000 » Sat May 08, 2004 5:40 pm

bitesize, np.

I just hear that too often that their #12 test line is tougher than company X. Maybe so since their 12# test is mislabeled with a thick diameter, and company X's diameter is much less.
Last edited by Jinz000 on Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Fri May 14, 2004 6:17 am

I use the Stren Super Braid. I know a lot of people don't like braided lines, but I use it for everything. A lot of my friends will say the wont use it because the fish can see it. But, I'm thinking that a big old treble hook is a lot thicker and more noticeable than my braided line. Plus I out fish them most times.

Kbookert

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by swear by senkos » Fri May 14, 2004 8:51 pm

actually i would say it is the other way around, especially here i find that many people like braided better then mono.

kbookert
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by kbookert » Sat May 15, 2004 7:27 am

That's odd. Maybe because I am origanally a New Yorker. But especially down here I like the braided line. Saying the waters in Central Georgia are stained, is being polite.

One note I will add about the braided line, if the lure gets hung on some rocks or sea walls and the line rubs against something while you are trying to get it free, CHECK YOUR LINE. The braided will fray and will break off after awhile. Easier to re-tie.

I tell my boy all the time "One little fray, can ruin your day!"

Kbookert
Last edited by kbookert on Tue May 18, 2004 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sat May 15, 2004 12:46 pm

Thats why I prefer fluorocan leaders when using braided.

I was trying to test out the breaking strain of 30# braided power pro and it wouldn't even tie against the bar, it frayed when i gave it about a 1lb pressure pull.

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Tue May 18, 2004 8:58 am

P-Line. I have tried all different lines and it always comes to the P-line. I like to use either the CX or the original for finesse fishing since it is quite thin and casts well.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Tue May 18, 2004 12:43 pm

JapanReels wrote:I have tried all different lines and it always comes to the P-line.
JapanReels wrote:I second that. P-Line in my opinion is the top choice. Have not used SUFIX DNA...
Quite thin??? LOL P-Line is notorious for mis-labeling of their lines. Yes P-Line is strong but compare its diameter with the diameters of IGFA lines. I like P-Line casts really smooth, out of the lines I own, test # wise P-Line has the thickest diameter.

JapanReels
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JapanReels » Wed May 19, 2004 1:26 pm

I guess it depends on what #lb test line u use. I guess I can't say much since I only use P-line and have nothing else to compare it with. I have used others years ago but got sold on this stuff. NEVER HAVE I LOST A FISH BECAUSE OF LINE OR KNOT FAILURE. :lol:

lifeofcb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofcb » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:23 pm

first of the season i was using pp, it was ok except for that powder but it went away. wont use it now i got more pricey reels. starting using suffix dna and its a great copolymer, alot like silver thread excalibur, but not as pricey.

just ordered 100 dollars worth of different f/c and braids from cabela's so we shall see how they compare.

Shimanoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimanoman » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:40 am

lifeofcb;-I have been using PP and FL pretty well exclusively for at least a year. I use it on Stellas,Calcutta's and Trinidads and Tiagras. The "powder issue" is minor,in my opinion,- so much so, that it is not an issue with me. The huge benefits provided by the Superlines are so great as to be "No Contest"with any of the other types of lines. I am more than prepared to put up with any minor inconvenience in order to benefit from their advantages. Regards,-Shimanoman

lifeofcb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofcb » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:47 pm

shimanoman - i agree with alot of the benefits, but i am trying to simply find the best out there. like everybody else. sort of or maybe or i am just that much of a junkie dont know either way again pp wasnt that bad. except for the powder. if i can find something with out the powder then i will be one happy junkie. if not then i may go back to pp. only time will tell and about 10 different lines.

i am real interested in trying fl and see how that reacts.

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:35 am

Lately I ve been disappointed with power pro. I'm using 30 # pp I have to retie this so many times due to line break offs. I lost a good mudsucker to . :? I think I'm either going to switch all to sufix tritanium plus and drop braid all togehter but then again I like it how the line virtually floats on water. Maybe I should switch the 30# to an 80# tuf line xp with better abraisve resistance hopefully that will solve everything.

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Zman » Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:54 am

That's strange. I've never broken off with Power Pro. Maybe it's because I'm not fishing the heaviest of cover, but I'm thinking maybe it's a bad spool or something. How long have you had the line on your reel?

Jinz000
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jinz000 » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:01 pm

about a year but that set up is not used very often. Probably about 12 times for that whole year.