Drop Shoting with Hi-Vis

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Hapi Hooker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Drop Shoting with Hi-Vis

Post by Hapi Hooker » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Anyone make the switch to drop shoting with Hi-Vis braided lines? I'm wondering if it made any difference in your catch rate? I'm thinking that most of my bites are under a tight line and are felt before any visual clues are necessary. I've also been using moss green Sunline and Power Pro with a leader and haven't had any concerns over using a natural braid color. I do have some concerns with switching to a Hi-Vis braid. I'm primarily fishing in very clear water with 20+ ft of visibility and don't want to alert any fish.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Drop Shoting with Hi-Vis

Post by smallies » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:12 pm

I do it in clear water, I use a longer leader and it makes no difference for my catch rate

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:13 am

It is natural to have concerns, but I can tell you from two decades of dropshotting experience that it makes no difference as long as you have a leader. I would use a black sharpie to color the first few feet of your hi-vis braid if you use a leader less than six feet. The same goes for using a small #10 swivel. The fish don't care. I was worried about both until I caught plenty of big fish :D .
You just can't see small green braid well in the wind. The fish will run off with your bait and be in the junk before you even know that they are there. They will also be gut-hooked far too often. Save yourself the trouble and get a braid that is easy to see for deep water worming.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:57 am

Like others have said, just tie on a Leader and you good to go