Looking at the New BG reels

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Dolores
Angler
Angler

Looking at the New BG reels

Postby Dolores » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:01 pm

I have an Ugly Stik Tiger Pinning Rod. 7' M rated 20-50 lb line. I need to put a new reel on it and the new Diawa BG reels caught my eye.Does anyone have experience with them and what size would you suggest for that rod?

Thank you.
Dolores Malone

Aquaftm45
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking at the New BG reels

Postby Aquaftm45 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:26 pm

That is a beefstick. I would consider the 6500 with the 33lb drag. I have the Saltist, which is the Magsealed version. It's pretty amazing.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby ScoobyDoo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:30 am

What are you targeting and what are you throwing?

The 4000 is a good do all size saltwater sized.

They are also coming out with the saltist back bay in a 4k. Which takes the ho hum/ meh saltist...and takes out the fancy bearings and give it a machined aluminum gear upgrade instead of the cast zinc.

I use a 4k saltiga for inshore nearshore stripers and bluefish using 30lb braid. Same size as a 5k 6k saragosa. Great for 7 to 10 medium duty rods.

Dalleinf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Postby Dalleinf » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Dolores
Angler
Angler

Postby Dolores » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:19 am

thanks for recommendations. Some Day ago, I purchased a shimano stradic. This is a great spinning reel. While I used to think all spinning gear was created equal, my thoughts on that have changed of late. The Shimano stradic is quiet and smooth and it casts "a mile," as the saying goes. The drag worked flawlessly. I am really impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of this reel. I put it through some stuff fishing today and it took the punishment. I look forward to using this reel more and probably getting a couple more. For the price, I definitely can't find fault in it. It doesn't hurt that it looks pretty cool, too.
Dolores Malone

Return to “Freshwater”