Can you fish the Neko rig in grass?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Can you fish the Neko rig in grass?

Post by Rodster14 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:35 am

I fish a reservoir that has a mostly grass bottom. I, like many others, fish Senkos, Mojo rigs, and drop shots to keep baits above the grass. Would a light Neko rig work in this type environment?

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Can you fish the Neko rig in grass?

Post by jerkbait22 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:35 am

I fished the Neko last weekend in a lake with a lot of grass and only had to pick grass off a few times over the course of the day. It's a thin profile so it came through pretty easily. I used a weedless wacky style hook.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:04 am

I bought the wrong size hooks and plan on flipping holes in Lilly pads
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm

You can fish it on a hook with a weed guard to have it come through the grass better.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:52 am

This is the way.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:18 am

poisonokie wrote:Image
Owner weedless wacky right??? Also I rig mine with the hook facing the other way... Missed a few recently though... Would you please help me and let me know the hook size you are using and how your hookup ratio is with the hook facing YOUR way???

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Yeah, Owner Wacky Weedless. For chunkier baits like that 5" Ocho I use a 2/0. In general, I feel like a larger hook gets you more hook-ups, more solid hook-ups, and a lower likelihood of gut hooking. For something like a roboworm, I go with size 1.

I rig mine that way because I think bass tend to think the weighted end is the head, so they strike that side. Also, the hook should "point toward" the end it's closer to so there's less plastic in the way of your hook set. I rig it both ways, though, if that way isn't hooking up. I really don't think it matters that much, as long as you aren't setting the hook too hard or too early. You can't wait too long, either though, or they'll swallow it.
This is the way.