Any Carp guys here?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Any Carp guys here?

Post by leggomye990 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Any Carp guys here?
My buddy is getting emotional on me because somehow I always drag him out for bass, pike and walleye and steelhead fishing but everytime he calls me for carp fishing, I always ditch him lol.

This time he's being VERY girly toward me.. like worse than my wife LOL.

I think I should start to at least make some type of attempt to carp with him, but I dunno... something about throwing feed into the water by the buckets full, and setting up rods on a pod and using bite alarms and hanging out on the river until the alarm goes off, to me seems a bit like cheating.

Anyway, if there any any carp hunters here, what set up do you guys run? I dont know anything about carp fishing, but I'm considering getting a set up mainly for carp so my buddy can stop crying \:D/

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Any Carp guys here?

Post by ayo8 » Thu May 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Im not a carp guy, and never had been, but I love the fight when my crankbait snags a 15-25lber by the tail :o

Ive caught carp on finesse jigs and chatterbaits, yes by the mouth, LOl. Theyre a fun fish to catch, but like you said, Im not too fond of rolling icky homemade dough-balls and waiting hours for them to bite, when bass are hitting topwater or anything that hits the water, LOl.

I hear its all in the dough ball mixture.

Have fun!

Oh, bring your bass rig along too ;)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri May 26, 2017 11:37 am

For sure, just don't stray too far from your carp rod and keep an eye on your popper. Daiwa makes some nice looking carp tackle. If I go catfishing, i just use a 7' pier rod with a 4500 size bait runner reel and it works fine. I've never used one of those 10-15' rods. Seems like it would be hard to fight a 15+# fish with one, but they make 'em for a reason, so what do I know?
This is the way.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri May 26, 2017 12:41 pm

My brother's best friend does the whole Euro-chum-ball-bell combo and it makes me throw up a little in my mouth as he explains the 'tactics ' of it.
Want a manly carp challenge? Try catching them on the fly. Fun stuff.
Grass carp caught on a 1/4 oz spoon, ML caster . 18lb. They are fun to fight.
Attachments
IMG_0464.JPG
IMG_0464.JPG (37 KiB) Viewed 13942 times
IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG (29.91 KiB) Viewed 13942 times

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:00 pm

I am a carp guy. Carp on the fly that is. I can not bring myself to throwing a line and waiting like I did when I was younger. On the fly though they can be downright hard to catch. I like the challenge of getting them to eat, and then landing then on my 6wt.

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Fri May 26, 2017 1:23 pm

:lol:

I guess since I would be on a rod pod with bite alarm, the rod wouldnt matter too much? Just get a beefy rod with a 4000+ size baitrunner reel and Im good to go?

Or... Learn to fly fish for them :-k

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Fri May 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Isaiah20 wrote:I am a carp guy. Carp on the fly that is. I can not bring myself to throwing a line and waiting like I did when I was younger. On the fly though they can be downright hard to catch. I like the challenge of getting them to eat, and then landing then on my 6wt.
Carp and trout flyfishing tactics can be surprisingly similar. And fun.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Mon May 29, 2017 10:36 am

Any fish that is caught on a lure is sporting to me. I spend a lot of time on the water fishing almost exclusively for bass. It's only a matter of time before you catch other species on your lures. I've caught carp on bladed jigs, plastics, and other bass lures. I don't find myself wanting to catch carp when other species are available, but I would be fishing for them if they were all I had.
One of the golf course lakes near me was used as a carp hatchery to stock the other lakes in the area. You could almost walk on them. My high school fishing club buddies and I had a tournament in the early 80's fishing with only 5' foot ultralights, 4lb. test, and corn because we couldn't catch them on anything else. We couldn't stand looking at those fish and not being able to catch them on lures. That's what happens when kids get bored in the summer.
I caught an approximately 20lb. catfish on a squarebill yesterday, and a 15lb. catfish on the same spot on a bladed jig on Wednesday. I probably catch between 5-10 catfish a year and about 1 carp a year on lures. My personal best freshwater fish is a carp in the 30lb. range (I've weighed them up to 25lbs.) on a bladed jig about 3 years ago. I only get upset when they waste my time in tournaments, or they destroy a favorite lure.
Last edited by toddmc on Tue May 30, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon May 29, 2017 1:40 pm

I see a lot of people bow hunt them in my area, but always curious on what they do with the fish afterwards. I have always considered carp as the trash fish, as do the majority of fisherman here. So do these folks eat them? I don't want to judge them but these guys drive $70-120k trucks (raptors and amg g wagons) and i just cant imagine them feasting on trash fish. Does it just become food for their dogs or something?

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Pen3 wrote:I see a lot of people bow hunt them in my area, but always curious on what they do with the fish afterwards. I have always considered carp as the trash fish, as do the majority of fisherman here. So do these folks eat them? I don't want to judge them but these guys drive $70-120k trucks (raptors and amg g wagons) and i just cant imagine them feasting on trash fish. Does it just become food for their dogs or something?

:lol:

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Mon May 29, 2017 3:27 pm

Pen3 wrote:I see a lot of people bow hunt them in my area, but always curious on what they do with the fish afterwards. I have always considered carp as the trash fish, as do the majority of fisherman here. So do these folks eat them? I don't want to judge them but these guys drive $70-120k trucks (raptors and amg g wagons) and i just cant imagine them feasting on trash fish. Does it just become food for their dogs or something?
Fertilizers, no joke. And/or, there are plenty of people who will eat them if given.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Jrob » Mon May 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Isaiah20 wrote:I am a carp guy. Carp on the fly that is. I can not bring myself to throwing a line and waiting like I did when I was younger. On the fly though they can be downright hard to catch. I like the challenge of getting them to eat, and then landing then on my 6wt.
+1 here. Love carp on the fly!!

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Funny story, this past weekend I was fishing for white bass around the Detroit River area. The one spot my uncle and I normally catch them at this time around.. I threw in a small Keitech on a small VMC moon eye and I set the hook on something.. fought it for a bit and pulled it up, it was a 10lb carp. Released it and went again, set the hook on yet another carp. At this point I was kind of confused to what was happening, I shined my flashlight into the water and I kid you knot, there were thousands of carp all near the shore in 3 feet of water... like everywhere.. I was shocked as I have never seen anything like it yet :lol:

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue May 30, 2017 9:10 am

They sell carp in a Stater Bros. grocery store near me in Indio, CA. We have some carp and striper hatcheries near the Salton Sea. I have been told that there is a small African American population that like the carp. I don't know how they prepare them to get the myriad of bones out. My buddies and I would see the carp when we would be shopping in the store for club fishing trips in the mid 80's. We thought it was very funny, or ghetto as they say today. I was in the store about a decade ago and they still had carp. It is comical to see a carp plastic wrapped on a styrofoam tray in the middle of the high-end fish in the meat section! :lol:
They have had the bow fishing tournaments on Big Bear Lake a few hours from here. They are overpopulated there. They make good fertilizer or cat food.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Tue May 30, 2017 11:42 am

I know some folks up here use them to make an attractant for bear hunting.