Any Carp guys here?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Any Carp guys here?

Post by poisonokie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:13 am

There's a restaurant somewhere in Nebraska where you will find people waiting in a line around the block for carp. It looked breaded and fried to me. I'm pretty sure you have to use a pressure cooker because of all the bones.
This is the way.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:14 pm

You will find carp served at many Jewish holidays.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:31 pm

Mike and Pike wrote:You will find carp served at many Jewish holidays.
I though Jewish cant eat catfish and carp because they are the bottom feeders?

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:50 am

Pen3 wrote:
Mike and Pike wrote:You will find carp served at many Jewish holidays.
I though Jewish cant eat catfish and carp because they are the bottom feeders?
Look up Gefilte.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:10 pm

"Masgouf" is the national dish of Iraqi, which is carp grilled over open flame, then finished on the coals.

I have never had carp cooked that way, but it is great for bluefish and perch, and I have heard it work great for stripers too.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:18 am

Carp is the most popular fish in my country for both eating and fishing.

On the eating side, we have a fish soup in Hungary which is like a national food here and considered famous, the main fish is the carp in it. You can make a very good dish out of carp, but for most people, it will be strange. It tastes different from the seafish that most people know and even from a freshwater fish like walleye. If anyone is interested, just go ahead and try it, you may or may not like it, but at least it should be cheap.

On the fishing side:
Regarding equipment a lot depends on the size of the fish and the time you have available. If you are using rod pods, alarms, etc, you must have at least a couple of days available on the bank. People use this method when they are after trophy fish. You should consider this method as a strategy game, completely different from lure fishing for bass. You setup a trap for the big fish and try to fool it, while avoiding the small ones. Also it is quite a challenge to land a 50-70lbs carp, or even a bigger one.
If you are after smaller fish and you have limited time, you should check out feeder, match or pole fishing, these are a lot more active methods then the big fish hunting. You can catch a lot of fish in a short period of time if you are doing it right.
UK is one of the best in carp fishing, they have plenty of books, articles, videos on carp fishing, available in english, you will understand those.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:01 am

poisonokie wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:13 am
There's a restaurant somewhere in Nebraska where you will find people waiting in a line around the block for carp. It looked breaded and fried to me. I'm pretty sure you have to use a pressure cooker because of all the bones.
BFS Carp fishing ??? I would imagine getting spooled a lot :lol:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu May 30, 2019 3:11 pm

I don't know, with 8-10# braid it could be doable. I caught an 11.5# blue catfish out of a snaggy pond using 10# braid to 8# fluoro and a #2 worm hook on a ml spinning bass rod and 2500 reel. It pulled quite a bit of drag and fought like hell, but no more than maybe 5 yards. Course, he didn't have far to run in the small, relatively shallow farm pond he calls home, so in a lake or river it might've been a different story, especially if any current is involved...

This is the way.