Anyone here fish Walleye?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone here fish Walleye?

Post by leggomye990 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:55 am

Thanks guys, it's nice know how people fish for walleye. Gives me ideas and hopfully next weekend will be a good one :D

Ranger Ron 620 DVS
Angler
Angler

Post by Ranger Ron 620 DVS » Sat May 06, 2017 11:44 am

leggomye990 wrote:Anyone here like to target walleye?

Bass doesn't open here until June, but walleye and pike are open pretty soon here. I am going for walleye next weekend and was wondering what's a good technique for walleye?

I wasn't very successful wen it comes to walleye, but this year I plan to give it a good try.

I know most people here tell you the same "generic" bait is the good ol fashion grub on a round jig head or the jig tipped with minnow, and to be honest I've caught some walleye with the grub but not as good as result I was hoping for.

This year I picked up some keitech easy shiners in 4" and plan to hook it with a 1/8pz jig head. I know bass love these things but I'm hoping walleye do too, I heard from a few ppl out there that walleye will hit these easy shiners. Points, edges of Shoals, Shoreline Breaks Shallow to Deep, Flats, Long Channels between Islands can be migration paths, doesn't hurt to try them. The Walleyes have most likely spawner and are into their transition locations. Points, edges of shoals, shoreline breaks shallow to deep, flats, long channels between islands can be migration paths, doesn't hurt to try them.

Aside from the mentioned riggs above, I'd love to hear what your walleye technique, baits, rigs would be.

If it's your first time I suggest the "Woods Bay area..." Its the end of the "Moon River" just before it enters "Georgian Bay." There are a couple of Marina's close by and lots of "Islands" and "Weed Beds with good access to "Deep Water" and they do hold "Big Walleyes" right through July... I think it was somewhere at the mouth of the river, either "Arnold's Bay "or the "Moon River Bay "itself or "Blackstone Harbor." But the mouth of the river is probably not what your asking about. You may want to give "Walleye Night Fishing" a try. Use #9 and #13 shallow running "Rapala's" in Gold and Silver with Black Backs. Cast and Troll near the "Shore Lines." Points, edges of shoals, shoreline breaks shallow to deep, flats, long channels between islands can be migration paths.They will come shallower at night to feed, try fishing the "Steepest Breaking Weed Beds" you can find. Make sure that you have a map of the area. Hope this information can help...

Moon River Cottages, 894 Arnolds Bay Road, Mactier Ontario.
1-705-375-2081
http://www.moonrivercottages.com

leggomye990
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by leggomye990 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:04 pm

Ranger Ron 620 DVS wrote:
leggomye990 wrote:Anyone here like to target walleye?

Bass doesn't open here until June, but walleye and pike are open pretty soon here. I am going for walleye next weekend and was wondering what's a good technique for walleye?

I wasn't very successful wen it comes to walleye, but this year I plan to give it a good try.

I know most people here tell you the same "generic" bait is the good ol fashion grub on a round jig head or the jig tipped with minnow, and to be honest I've caught some walleye with the grub but not as good as result I was hoping for.

This year I picked up some keitech easy shiners in 4" and plan to hook it with a 1/8pz jig head. I know bass love these things but I'm hoping walleye do too, I heard from a few ppl out there that walleye will hit these easy shiners. Points, edges of Shoals, Shoreline Breaks Shallow to Deep, Flats, Long Channels between Islands can be migration paths, doesn't hurt to try them. The Walleyes have most likely spawner and are into their transition locations. Points, edges of shoals, shoreline breaks shallow to deep, flats, long channels between islands can be migration paths, doesn't hurt to try them.

Aside from the mentioned riggs above, I'd love to hear what your walleye technique, baits, rigs would be.

If it's your first time I suggest the "Woods Bay area..." Its the end of the "Moon River" just before it enters "Georgian Bay." There are a couple of Marina's close by and lots of "Islands" and "Weed Beds with good access to "Deep Water" and they do hold "Big Walleyes" right through July... I think it was somewhere at the mouth of the river, either "Arnold's Bay "or the "Moon River Bay "itself or "Blackstone Harbor." But the mouth of the river is probably not what your asking about. You may want to give "Walleye Night Fishing" a try. Use #9 and #13 shallow running "Rapala's" in Gold and Silver with Black Backs. Cast and Troll near the "Shore Lines." Points, edges of shoals, shoreline breaks shallow to deep, flats, long channels between islands can be migration paths.They will come shallower at night to feed, try fishing the "Steepest Breaking Weed Beds" you can find. Make sure that you have a map of the area. Hope this information can help...

Moon River Cottages, 894 Arnolds Bay Road, Mactier Ontario.
1-705-375-2081
http://www.moonrivercottages.com

That is where we are going on May 13, We renting a boat from there

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Sun May 07, 2017 12:06 am

bronzefly wrote:I love walleye fishing, but it's only a spring time, night time, top water/wake bait bite for me.
I don't fish for walleye but I think it's pretty crazy that they hit topwater, I think I had heard about it once before.

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:56 am

Walleye will crush the Keitechs, i prefer the fat swing impacts in 4-5 inches. Any 4-4.5" jerkbait will do as well, I've had good luck with LC, Luck-E- Strike Rick Clunn, and good ol' Rapala Coundowns, CD11. Grubs, any shakyhead type bait. They'll basically hit anything a bass will, you just have to be near the fish. And I despise trolling, so I don't know anything about it. Good luck.

gailt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gailt » Sun May 07, 2017 9:41 am

I usually catch them by accident when I'm fishing under the lights for crappie.

gumbygold
Angler
Angler

Post by gumbygold » Mon May 08, 2017 2:17 am

I absolutely kill them on jerkbaits. Smithwich Perfect 10 and Evergreen 115.

Ranger Ron 620 DVS
Angler
Angler

Post by Ranger Ron 620 DVS » Tue May 09, 2017 6:52 am

The name of the game in "Walleye Fishing" is to cover as much water in the shortest period of time that's possible... You will need to "RIG FISH First" to locate the Walleyes and then "JIG FISH Second" when you have them located them...

Deadliest Spinner Rig for Walleye;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EYQC_YV-x7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How To Vertical Jig For River Walleyes;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZIKjaKR4bu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>