Delta novice needs some shore fishing guidance

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Delta novice needs some shore fishing guidance

Post by joeyblackwood » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:07 am

I just moved to Walnut Creek, CA and want to try my hand at fishing the Delta from shore. I've seen many small river- type sections and was curious if it's legal to fish them wherever accessible by land? Do these areas of hold fish? How important is the tides? I'm also open to trying any fishing spots in walnut creek area. I've only found one legal spot so far as all the other nice spots are protected for ducks and bunnies. Any help with is much appreciated.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Delta novice needs some shore fishing guidance

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:23 pm

Normally I would PM such an inquiry, but in this case I'll write forum for benefit of anyone else who may read. I have literally fished the Delta for over 35 years and plan to do so as long as I can cast.

Delta fishing is not what it once was, sadly. They continue to pump too much out, erosion, trash, invasive plants, it's pathetic. I've seen and continue to see sunken boats, cars, detached docks, trees, name it, create serious water hazard and nobody does anything about it. And that's just the beginning of it. Makes me so damn mad sometimes.

Insofar as shoreline access, your answer is 'no'. Used to be a 'yes' but then came lawsuits and new liability and land owners who once couldn't care less changed their mind. That said, there are places to reach but you have to be creative. My days of trespassing and 'not knowing' it are long gone. I suggest you do the same. It's a battle you will lose.

However, any Marina road anywhere along the Delta has considerable shoreline access. I suggest you start with that. Bridges, for instance, are over public land and you may also fish them unless it clearly states you can't. Take note of your surrounding and don't fish alone. Chunk rock found along many levees is a death trap if you slip and accidents do happen so be careful.

Yes, tidal flow can make or break your trip. Lower tides make it rough from shore in those smaller channels you reference. Generally, the higher the tide, the better your chances. Your lure selection will be limited. You might as well throw bladed jigs, cranks, spinners in the trash because they will hang up and you will lose them. Stick to plastics and topwater. It'll give you great opportunity to master them.

And one more thing; please make a point of taking out more trash than you bring in. I would bet my life that everyone and their mother leaves all their flippin sh_t as a matter of habit. It's disgusting and disrespectful. Just a little bit of effort goes a long, long way. If more people thought this way, the world would be a much cleaner place. I rarely fish from shore anymore, but for decades I did just that. I've fished places most would never think of. One of the things I've learned is you would be very surprised where fish live and, yes, the Delta is loaded with them.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Sad to hear it, the SD River went through some similar transitions in my decade in San Diego but the worst has been this drought as the fishing has all but died off. Besides a recent 8 pounder I caught in a super secret spot, the river fishing is as good as dead. I give it another decade to get back to the 20-30 fish days I saw back a few years. Biggest issue is the pollution from homeless people that have literally claimed the area around the river as their drug dealing / living area. I hope the Bay isn't too far gone for a devoted bank fisherman like myself. I understand the appeal of boats but find I do so much better from shore in small bodies of water or at least narrow areas like the SD River and potentially the Delta have that hold nice sized bass.

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:59 pm

Is there a Delta facebook page that guys use to share fishing techniques? We had the "San Diego Fishing" fb page in San Diego that was a helpful place.

iliketofishman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by iliketofishman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 pm

I used to live in Sac and fished Whiskey Slough. It is decent fishing. It's been years now and I don't even know if it's still open but about 10 years ago you could drive the entire road and fish along it.