Favorite Pre-Packaged Easy to Use Catfish Bait

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Favorite Pre-Packaged Easy to Use Catfish Bait

Post by hawkoath » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:44 pm

I want to try out Catfish fishing sometime this year. I really don't want to have to create something from scratch as this is my first time fishing these and I don't know if I would continue. Is there anything out there that can:

1. Catch a lot of catfish
2. Comes Pre-Packaged
3. Easy to put on a hook
4. Won't create a mess

Thanks.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Favorite Pre-Packaged Easy to Use Catfish Bait

Post by hawkoath » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Oh. I know there is a lot of baits out there but I was wondering what the forum members' favorite catfish bait that fits these prereqs.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:22 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You probably won't get many replies, because Daiwa and Shimano don't make catfish bait we can import from Japan and there hasn't been a recent bungled Kickstarter project for catfish bait. :D

I've had some luck with Vienna sausages for channel catfish, but the sausages are a bit messy and don't stay on a hook well unless one uses a bait needle to thread the line through the middle before tying the hook on.

You might want to find out what catfish species are in the water you'll be fishing and specify that; I understand that big blues and flatheads don't hit some commercial baits as well as channel catfish do.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:10 am

I like http://teamcatfish.com/catfish-bait.html use the fiber bait on hot days with no worm just a treble. There are videos on how to apply it. Its nice if you have a stick or a paddle you never touch the stuff and it works great for eater size channels. You will occasionally catch a bigger catfish on packaged bait but for consistent big cats you need cutbait or live bait. Luckily where I am you just drive around and asian carp jump in your boat ready to be fileted for bait.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:37 pm

Bronzeye wrote:Welcome to the forum.

You probably won't get many replies, because Daiwa and Shimano don't make catfish bait we can import from Japan and there hasn't been a recent bungled Kickstarter project for catfish bait. :D

I've had some luck with Vienna sausages for channel catfish, but the sausages are a bit messy and don't stay on a hook well unless one uses a bait needle to thread the line through the middle before tying the hook on.

You might want to find out what catfish species are in the water you'll be fishing and specify that; I understand that big blues and flatheads don't hit some commercial baits as well as channel catfish do.
Thanks. While I have recently joined, I've been following the tackletour and the forum for a few years now.

I forgot to mention that the catfish I am targeting are channel catfish for the most part.

Crappielimits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crappielimits » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:25 am

Sonnys blood flavored use rubber lures with trebles and dip/stir with Popsicle stick.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:46 am

I am curious about this subject as well. I usually use cut bait or liver for catfish, so I keep the gear as cheap as possible. Would be nice if I don't have to worry about getting some of my heavy duty lure gears dirty while testing them out on more than some bass :D.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:40 pm

If you have a tackle store nearby, see if they'll give you any dead herring. I work at one, and we don't charge anything for it, either. Just pop the head off, and hook it through the back with an octopus hook, and weight it. I personally don't go for catfish, but a lot of people I know do.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:39 am

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:If you have a tackle store nearby, see if they'll give you any dead herring. I work at one, and we don't charge anything for it, either. Just pop the head off, and hook it through the back with an octopus hook, and weight it. I personally don't go for catfish, but a lot of people I know do.
I wish. There is only one tackle store about 45 minutes away that would sell live herring, but unfortunately dead herring is still quite valuable around these parts as its a very staple bait around here.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:53 am

That stinks! (No pun intended) Guys slam them on that up here in the Northeast!

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Sonny's seems to work best for me.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:55 am

Put a piece of hotdog on your hook.

hawkoath
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hawkoath » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:13 am

Heronimo wrote:Put a piece of hotdog on your hook.
I tried but for some reason the thing doesn't stay on the hook for long.