Finesse Baitcasting

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Finesse Baitcasting

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:53 am

What exactly constitutes to finesse baitcasting? I see rods, like the new Cumara that throw down to an eighth of an ounce, but it's still a medium power, so i don't know if it's technically finesse baitcasting. Also, what # test line is generally considered to be finesse, as far as baitcasters go?

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Finesse Baitcasting

Post by the hooligan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:50 am

I have that cumara thats rated to 1/8oz - 1/4oz and it excels at that weight range of plastics and jigs. I tend to think of light & medium light rods for finesse fishing, but id rate it a medium action rod that can throw finesse baits. Ive thrown 1/16oz shakeyheads easily with it.

Finesse lines for me are 4-8lb flouro/mono. Lately ive been doing well with 6lb mono for topwater/cranks, and 7lb sniper for bottom contact baits...

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:38 am

How do you like that rod? I see it getting a lot of flack from some people for the short handle, but others absolutely love it.

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:45 am

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:How do you like that rod? I see it getting a lot of flack from some people for the short handle, but others absolutely love it.
I think its a great rod or the money. I like the cumulus blank, i like the microguides, and its light. I havent had any problems with the handle. My only negative would be the color. Wished they kept the black look from the 1st gen cumara...

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:56 am

Cool! Know what you mean with the color... I have a 6'8" MH 1st gen Cumara, and I absolutely love it! The gray/sparkle pattern is low key, but really cool to look at!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:52 am

I have that rod also as a warranty replacement for the 6'3 medium. Love my Cumara A 6'8. Don't use it for to much finesse, mainly inshore fishin with jerkbaits( awesome jerkbait rod to 1/2oz) but have used 1/32oz tungsten bullet with a trick worm for pond fishing and casts that very well with a 51e. The grip is super comfortable for jerks and gives you really good feel for what plastics are doing. Very light and sensitive. Have caught striper to 23lbs on it so it has some serious backbone in the butt section for big fish. I'm just glad it's not white.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:43 am

I'd say anything more than 8 lb test would not be considered finesse although 6 lb seems to the most common. If it throws more than 1/2 oz or 5/8 id say it's too heavy but that's subjective.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Wed May 11, 2016 8:02 am

I normally use 8lb line for finesse.

fati
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fati » Wed May 11, 2016 10:59 am

I got a alde ltd on a ml zodias that is really fantastic ~1/4 so I didnt wanna break that combo, and im currently building a second bfs setup to go with a st-croix legend inshore UL I buyed this spring.

I picked a used jdm px68R on auctions for around 150 shipped. Never tryed any pixy's yet..

Gona throw a shallow diy spool in with a set of air bfs bearing and will probably be selling the original pixy spool.
You think its gona be a good matchup for trowing anything 1/16-3/16 ? Anyone doing great with a similar combo?

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu May 12, 2016 12:25 am

Fishinfanatic115 wrote:What exactly constitutes to finesse baitcasting? I see rods, like the new Cumara that throw down to an eighth of an ounce, but it's still a medium power, so i don't know if it's technically finesse baitcasting. Also, what # test line is generally considered to be finesse, as far as baitcasters go?
The debate between what is Finesse has come up from time to time. I'm of the belief that finesse is more a technique than a tackle type. Many equate finesse w/ Ul where rods, reels, line and baits have to be light. As technique some say it's more about bait presentation (power fishing vs. slow and deliberate presentations enticing a bite rather than a reaction strike).

Perhaps it's somewhere in between the two.

I use M/L to L rods, w/ a Shimano Cardiff 50DC or a tuned 50 size reel and 8lb braid. 1/8 (maybe a touch lighter)- 1/4 ounce baits.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Thu May 12, 2016 10:09 pm

fati wrote:I got a alde ltd on a ml zodias that is really fantastic ~1/4 so I didnt wanna break that combo, and im currently building a second bfs setup to go with a st-croix legend inshore UL I buyed this spring.

I picked a used jdm px68R on auctions for around 150 shipped. Never tryed any pixy's yet..

Gona throw a shallow diy spool in with a set of air bfs bearing and will probably be selling the original pixy spool.
You think its gona be a good matchup for trowing anything 1/16-3/16 ? Anyone doing great with a similar combo?
I've had this rod for a while and have tested many bfs reels on it and is a good match for the weight range you specified. In my testing you can actually go down to 1/32 should you choose to. I've yet to try the DIY spools but by the specs they should be equal if not a bit better than the air spools for casting ultra light lures.

John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Finesse....or BFS, IMHO, is using a lure that most people would usually use a spinning combo for.
As far as what pound test line qualifies as finesse, I don’t think that pitching into cover using a BFS size lure with 10 or 12LB line is disqualifying for finesse.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:22 pm

USA-RET wrote: I'm of the belief that finesse is more a technique than a tackle type. Many equate finesse w/ Ul where rods, reels, line and baits have to be light.
I agree. Finesse is technique, not tackle. Though as stated finesse techniques are better suited for lighter tackle.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:03 pm

I believe there is finesse / bfs - ultra light and light action rods with 2 - 6 lb line, upwards to 1/8 oz. I believe once you strap on your 1/8 oz rig with a piece of plastic that totals out at 3/16 to 5/16 oz, now you traveled into "power finesse" territory imo, which generally consists of 8 - 12 lb test. For the most part, I pretty much live in power finesse land. The majority of my set ups can go lower in weight, but my rods have extra power, and the spools have greater line capacity. These are all casting rigs.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:48 pm

I don't really think of "finesse" in terms of weight, but more in terms of presentation size. Take these two jigs;

This hair jig is tiny and weighs in at right around 1/16oz. Finesse by any measure.

This jig is also pretty small but weighs around .40oz. Is that still finesse? I have some Lucky Craft jigs that are the same size but the head is made of resin and with the same trailer they weigh just over 1/4oz. They are about the same profile but does the weight difference make one "more finesse" then the other?

Personally I think the second jig is pushing it but when I think about the resin head jig with the same profile it becomes more blurry.