BFS Skipping

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

BFS Skipping

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:26 am

I have seen videos online from Japan and they are masterful casters. They can do things I wouldn't even dare try for fear of backlash or loosing my lure in overhanging vegetation. Also, they are using supertune finesse reels with light line.

My question, how do you learn to do this? What settings on the reel? Does FC come off the spool easier than mono? Any tips on how to practice would be appreciated. I have several BFS rods, as I know that is also half the battle.

I have some experience skipping senkos under docks, but with heavy line and a Curado 200. When I try with my PX68 it usually ends up bad. Light 6lbs mono nests like a dream. Any information would help

Thanks.

Garfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: BFS Skipping

Post by Garfisher » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:23 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VbnkbKm__A
While it's done on heavier gear I would think the settings and technique would be the same.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: BFS Skipping

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:31 am

A lot depends on having a correctly balanced rod/reel ensemble. After that, you have to consider the baits your skipping. Some just don't skip well. Fluoro doesn't come off the spool better than mono unless you are using very poor quality or old mono. When you have all the pieces together, practice, practice, practice. It's just like every other cast, you have to develop a feel for it.