Frog Fishing

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
wcbjr1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Frog Fishing

Post by wcbjr1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:31 pm

What hollow body frog has the best hook-up ratio ?

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Frog Fishing

Post by USA-RET » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:00 pm

For me Deps Bassirisky and Koppers. (Snag proof Bobby's Perfect aren't too bad either).

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:11 am

I use the spro popping frogs and almost never miss. I do turn the hooks up a little, a minor change and trim the legs to the length of the body. About 30 seconds of mod to have the best frog in the world!

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:16 am

Booyah pad crasher

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:08 pm

I've thrown a lot of different brands of frogs and I think the key is to let the bass take down the bait before setting the hook. If you give them that extra half second, you'll be surprised at you hook up ratio.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:43 am

Koppers and Spro have been working for me. I trim the legs about 1" and leave the hooks alone.

supermat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by supermat » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:50 am

I completely agree with AngryJohn. I bend the hooks and trim the legs on all my frogs. Once that is done most have a great hookup ratio. That said, my easiest hookups have come on the Bobby's Perfect, Koppers, and Bully Wa

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:32 am

Koppers have worked the best for me. The Boze Sumo frog is a close second. That Owner frog hook usually sticks them good.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:04 pm

Although I've never experienced the problems some have of missing lots of fish on frogs, I only occasionally miss one thankfully, I truly believe that having the correct gear makes all the difference in the world. Braid is a must and in my opinion so is a stout rod of at least 7 feet.

Now to answer the question you actually asked, as of today my honest opinion is the Bronzeye Shad. I say this because of the way Spro makes them. They are much softer than the frogs therefore they collapse much easer when struck making hooksets a breeze. I haven't missed a single fish on a Bronzeye Shad yet. These things are great. Don't get me wrong, they aren't so soft that they get fouled on every cast either though.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:57 am

Best hookup ratio? Lunkerhunt Lunker Frog

Most bites? Booyah Pad Crasher

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:11 am

USA-RET wrote:For me Deps Bassirisky and Koppers. (Snag proof Bobby's Perfect aren't too bad either).
Your half way there!

Snag Proof has 0 affiliation with myself on a professional level except they make the perfect frog. The Bobby's is nice but the best frog I've come across in 5-8 years is the Snag Proof Bleedin' Frog I wish they hooked me up after this write up.

Pay attention to the hook on this frog. When I compare the frog to other's in the store I always show customers/friends the hook. The hook on the Bleedin' Frog is Red but don't pay attention to the colour. It's the size, it's at least 1/2" longer from the bend to the point of the hook. The "round bend" is much deeper than any Spro/Koppers/River2Sea/Booyah etc…The hook is a wide gap custom from Owner and the power/hook up ratio of this frog is deadly.

Next is simple but important and that's a inner rattle. When you walk or pop that frog over slop and heavy cover the noise you get I think helps attract fish to the bait, or at least helps them follow it and smash it. The noise works.

There is also a small lead tail weight on the ass end of the frog, in open water it aids in the walking/how the frog sits in the water.

They are not $10+ and are made in your guys country. I carry about 30-50 frogs in total and every 1 now is a Bleedin Frog. Once you see the hook, squeeze the bait and shake it in your hand it's the best tool I've found for heavy cover slop frogging ever.

Pearl White, Chicklet, Black and occasionally colours like Moss Boss or Cicada work well also. They made a "new" version(Bleedin' W/Attitude) with a trailer hook. You get some better colour options.

Give them a go, I don't need to "bend the books" trim the skirt, none of that. The skirt is the same length of the frog so your proportion is perfect.

Enjoy!

MTBF

Edit*
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Snag_Pro ... #multiview

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:00 am

Koppers 3/4oz frog is the one I rarely miss fish on, since it sits so low in the water. The Booyah Pad Crasher is super soft, giving it a great hook up ratio as well. I find Spro to be hit or miss, depending on the individual frog. Scum Frogs, for a super cheap frog, are dynamite as far as hookup ratio goes across thin duckweed. No action to speak of, tho!

gibsonferna
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by gibsonferna » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:13 pm

I don't catch frog because I'm afraid of it especially when it is hopping and hopping.

Seb2fn
Angler
Angler

Post by Seb2fn » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:20 am

check out snag proof, I haven't touched another frog since.. they are soft and have great hook up ratio, they have rattles and most importantly they don't take on water ever..

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:51 am

Seb2fn wrote:check out snag proof, I haven't touched another frog since.. they are soft and have great hook up ratio, they have rattles and most importantly they don't take on water ever..
X2 Used spro before, no comparison.