New rod and reel for troutfishing

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
ViktorS
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

New rod and reel for troutfishing

Post by ViktorS » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:07 pm

Hi all.
This is my first post here. Im from Hamerfest, norway, and all freshwaterfish here is trout and arctic charr!:)
Im lokking for a new rod and reel for this fishing. I have a daiwa presso UL5'6" and a shimano symetre 500 in the mail somewhere, ordered from the states.

So the rod im after should be a a step above The Ul rod. Maybe 8feet long(240cm).
The selection of rods here in norway isnt that good, so i want to order a good rod from ebay.

Any good tips for a norwegian fisherman?:)
Viktor

HdnRibs
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: New rod and reel for troutfishing

Post by HdnRibs » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:14 am

I am very happy with Phenix rods. I use the 7'6" Elixer. =D> http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?mai ... page&id=10 It also comes in an 8' length. Beautiful, light and responsive. They are a little pricey for trout rods, but they are worth it to me. The Elixer is a fast action rod. They also make the 7'8" Mirage that is rated a little lighter and which is a more moderate action rod. http://www.phenixrods.com/index.php?mai ... page&id=11

The G Loomis trout series rods are also very nice. I use the 6'10" and 7'6" rods. Very nice, but I prefer the look of the Phenix.

I also use and enjoy Fenwick rods. But, I don't know if they have an 8' trout rod. I caught my largest trout on a 7'6" http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-M ... /10204875/. So, don't discount a BPS or Cabela's rod if they will ship to you.

Depending on what line weight and lure weight you want to use, you might also look for steelhead rods on ebay.

Good luck and let us know what you went with.

ViktorS
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ViktorS » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:55 pm

Today i have a 9' shimano beastmaster Light,3-14 gram lure weight(not sure what it is in oz, max 1/2??)

I want the same lure weight, but on maybe a 7 foot rod. I want it to be better than my beastmaster as well, but i want it to be medium too full action, for more fun trout fishing.

Gonna check out the phenix rods, dobt think my wallet is ok with g loomia at this point...

Thanx for the tips btw, appreciate it:)

Edit:
Wow, the elixir looks stunning!!! Is the blank black? I see that they are meant for lures up to 1/4oz, how will they cope with lures up to 14g. (1/2oz)?

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sat May 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Length is a huge factor consider. If you want a long rod i would recommend one of the lamiglas xmg 50 rods. They also have an x-11 line that the guys up here in washington use a lot. I do most of my boat fishing for small trout with an excel 702 spinning rod. I would recommend it if you want a rod that short.