prop baits

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
wcbjr1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

prop baits

Post by wcbjr1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:21 am

What is the best prop bait ? Double or single prop ? Balsa , cedar or plastic ? 21/4 or 3 inch ? Mfg ? Object is to catch many bass .

grumpydog
Angler
Angler

Re: prop baits

Post by grumpydog » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:22 am

apparently, from all the responses, only you and I use prop baits. grew up with the heddon torpedo and havnt changed. use all sizes and colors, just depends on the day. h2o (academy brand) makes a very affordable, useable bait, usually have to bend the props to get them spinning right out of the pack, but they work.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:09 am

Deps Buzzjet and Buzzjet Jr. have produced the most for me. Two colors are needed: one with a light underside, and one with a dark underside.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:09 am

The Lucky Craft Kelly J prop bait has worked well for me when the bream are bedding. I like their bluegill color patterns and will mix up my retrieve until I get a bite. I like to fish it like a floating buzzbait a lot to with a steady retrieve.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:43 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:The Lucky Craft Kelly J prop bait has worked well for me when the bream are bedding. I like their bluegill color patterns and will mix up my retrieve until I get a bite. I like to fish it like a floating buzzbait a lot to with a steady retrieve.
x2, I've had decent luck with the Kelly J as well.

Garfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Garfisher » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:37 am

Rapala skitter props are excellent for smallies here

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:05 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:Deps Buzzjet and Buzzjet Jr. have produced the most for me. Two colors are needed: one with a light underside, and one with a dark underside.

+1 on the colors needed. If one isn't producing, then I switch to the opposite color underside and it usually works out pretty well.

fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fishballer06 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:56 am

I prefer the Heddon Torpedo's and Rapala Skitter Prop's. Both work great (single blade).

I like the Smithwick Devils Horse, but to me, I seem to get my line tangled in the front blade fairly often with any double bladed prop bait during the cast.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:03 am

Bigger Buzzjets are a staple for me as well, and offers a few different ways to fish it - whether on top, or sub-surface vs other topwater only prop baits.

Here is a link to some TT replies on this topic from 2006 (thought it was fun that this is still on the net and did not die in one of the "Great Crashes"): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11974

In today's world, lots of different propbaits are available - with the same type idea being applicable on buzzbaits, "waking/bulging" a spinnerbait sub-surface, and fishing weightless toads/salamanders. The main advantage of the prop bait is that it floats and thus can be stopped next to structure and then ripped/popped/cranked/etc. throughout the cast.

FWIW, some more subtle offerings like Bagley's have their place in flat/calm waters, or in earlier spring just like the floating balsa minnows do. http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bagley_B ... t-feedback

Good luck.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:53 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:
JBcrankaddict wrote:The Lucky Craft Kelly J prop bait has worked well for me when the bream are bedding. I like their bluegill color patterns and will mix up my retrieve until I get a bite. I like to fish it like a floating buzzbait a lot to with a steady retrieve.
x2, I've had decent luck with the Kelly J as well.
X3 but I really want to try buzzjet,

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:04 am

I love small balsa propbaits. I favor ones that are real "jumpy" and will not nose dive even when fast twitching.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:56 am

X 3 Right on, I sometimes use lot slower retrieve and let the bait sit longer.

stalking coyote
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stalking coyote » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:33 pm

socal cranker wrote:I love small balsa propbaits. I favor ones that are real "jumpy" and will not nose dive even when fast twitching.

Any recommendations buddy .. show us a couple of yours !

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:51 am

I know nothing...but I like doing it this way

In more calm water - single props.

In more choppy water - double props.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:29 am

I know it's a saltwater company, but if you can find any, Mirrolure MirroProps work pretty well. They have a good shape and are plenty stout enough for bass.