Flippin'/ pitchin'; same thing, right?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Flippin'/ pitchin'; same thing, right?

Post by hotdogin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:56 am

What is the difference between flipping and pitching?

I've done some research and honestly can't tell much of a difference. Anybody care to share their $.02?

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Flippin'/ pitchin'; same thing, right?

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:16 pm

flipping pulling out line with non rod hand and sending bait out, bringing it back in by pulling line again with free hand. Pitching is sending lure out with an underhand pitch and reeling it back in.

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:12 am

BucketHunter wrote:flipping pulling out line with non rod hand and sending bait out, bringing it back in by pulling line again with free hand. Pitching is sending lure out with an underhand pitch and reeling it back in.
pretty much the story!

chevy5099
Angler
Angler

Post by chevy5099 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:26 pm

basskeeter1 wrote:
BucketHunter wrote:flipping pulling out line with non rod hand and sending bait out, bringing it back in by pulling line again with free hand. Pitching is sending lure out with an underhand pitch and reeling it back in.
pretty much the story!
Your right about that. You have to try both ways and what ever you like to use then stick with it. I say those pros can flip/pitch all day and do a good job at it. God bless them. Its hard for me to do that all day long. :-)

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Correct. Also flipping is "something I cannot do without feeling awkward."

The term is often used interchangeably describing pitching. I don't see or hear of many people old school flipping anymore, though people still do it. I understand how it might be more quiet and accurate...I just never got the hang of it, or at least never liked it enough to practice it much.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:03 am

I like old school flipping for situations where the number of presentations you make increase your odds and ultimate accuracy or stealth is not of the utmost importance. Drifting flats and dunking pockets and puffs come to mind. There is much time wasted in pitching out and reeling back, and it can be fatiguing.
I find flouro is a must in this situation, as the braid will eat up your fingers pretty quick pulling it across your hand all day.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:18 am

I define flippin as a very short range technique. Used when your boat is butted against cover and you are basically swinging and dropping your bait into a hole in the cover or into the center of clumps. It is pretty much a vertical technique.

In my shallow water lakes I usually measure the amount of line I need to hit bottom after presenting the bait and that's the amount of line I work with. Usually around 8-9 feet of line beyond the rod tip. Lock the reel, shorten the line by pulling the line away from the reel and first guide with one one hand while swinging the bait out and releasing the line target.

I really hate this technique but it's one of the few that works when you have fish in the center of clumps of arrow-heads or under hyacinth mats or in clumps of spadderdock.
Attachments
Arrowheads.jpg
Arrowheads.jpg (128.63 KiB) Viewed 18859 times
spadderdock.jpg
spadderdock.jpg (435.02 KiB) Viewed 18859 times

G3Steve
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by G3Steve » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:26 am

I love fishing cover like that. Pulling fish out of that muck is very rewarding!

Will-Fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Will-Fish » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:08 am

me too. Love fishing those heavy covers.

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:28 pm

WoodT wrote:The term is often used interchangeably describing pitching.
Very true. I rarely see anyone these days actually flipping.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 am

I love pitching. I do it all the time. One of the easiest ways to get a bait under overhangs and present it very stealthy from a distance.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:26 am

I'm always pitching, never got the hang of flipping either.

BuckNaStY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BuckNaStY » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:27 pm

chevy5099 wrote:
basskeeter1 wrote:
pretty much the story!
Your right about that. You have to try both ways and what ever you like to use then stick with it. I say those pros can flip/pitch all day and do a good job at it. God bless them. Its hard for me to do that all day long. :-)
agreed! I prefer a little more action when fishing.. yet again i am very hyperactive so i like to stay moving!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:02 pm

I haven't flip for the past 3 seasons and just mainly pitch. Flipping is for very specific situations only and even then, i try to get away with pitching. Perhaps it is because you spend so much money on fishing gear that you want it to do something, whereas flipping it is all rod length. Hell you can do it with a broom and no reel attached.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:36 pm

A pitch is just an underhand cast, usually to a nearby target. I've pitched with just about every piece of gear I've ever owned with one bait or another.

A flip is when you use slack line to shoot your bait into a very specific nearby spot and often use a nearly vertical presentation. Flipping is always done with heavy gear, I'd use the same thing I use for punching. Ideally I am bringing a fish from his hiding spot all the way to the surface just with the hook set to prevent him from wrapping me around a tree/whatever structure.