Need some advice on Frog setup

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
DammitKhoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need some advice on Frog setup

Post by DammitKhoa » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:19 pm

It seems everyone hates the snakeheads around this eastern part of the US (obviously because it's an invasive species). But personally, I sure am gonna make the most of it! They are good eating and my parents, immigrants from Asia hasn't had them in nearly two decades. I know it's not for everyone (they're sorta ugly lol), but it's kind of cool to be able to bring something home that reminds them of older times.

Anyways, they've been hitting frogs (well anything for that matter). Last weekend I went out and did catch one, but it wasn't without trouble. I used stanley ribbits with the double hooks provided by them. I lost a huge one because the hook didn't set right. The second time around, I pulled up the rod on a smaller one and started reeling in when it came loose. It wasn't until I tossed again in the same spot that I was able to catch him.

I'm thinking that snakeheads and LM bass, for the most part take larger bites. If they take take most of the lure and bite down toward the front, the hooks aren't revealed as much. The hooks are most prominent when the frog is bent in the middle (see picture). Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone tried Owner and Gamakatsu frog hooks vs the stanley?

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Need some advice on Frog setup

Post by angry john » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:53 pm

If setting the hook is causing the issue you may want to try a single hook. The owner beast hook is large and strong enough to get the job done, and may give you a more positive hook set.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:38 am

Try using a trailer hook, such as the Lake Fork frog tail hook. Look at http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Lake_For ... GHOOK.html

They work for me :D

Heatstreak
Angler
Angler

Post by Heatstreak » Fri May 16, 2014 4:28 am

How do you cook these if you don't mind me asking?

Seb2fn
Angler
Angler

Post by Seb2fn » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:22 am

are you using the right gear?? try a snag proof bobbys perfect frog.. best frog ive used.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:19 am

More weird than ugly. Compared to grimmel it's down right petty.

jkleino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jkleino » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:23 am

I second the trailer hook comment. Will fowl up a little more but from my experience with Dog Fish I always seem to get them to the boat (not by choice) when the trailer is on my frog.