walleye strategy for river

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Kirika12
Angler
Angler

walleye strategy for river

Post by Kirika12 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:18 pm

Good day everyone! Please can You describe the best technique for walleye fishing on plastics from bottom? Especially for rivers. Is it vertical or simply throwing the bait far from the boat? Is it upstream/downstream/90degrees to stream? And what lure to choose? Thank You!

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: walleye strategy for river

Post by ppFishing » Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 pm

I use a bottom bouncer along with a Berkley worm for trolling. The worm is tie to a plastic leader about 12-18 inches long from the bottom bouncer.

Kirika12
Angler
Angler

Post by Kirika12 » Wed May 29, 2013 5:29 am

ppFishing wrote:I use a bottom bouncer along with a Berkley worm for trolling. The worm is tie to a plastic leader about 12-18 inches long from the bottom bouncer.
Is that write that the plastic leader should be the same LB power as the main braid line? And what about stream - do You bouncing at one point or going downstream with the rivers speed?
Thank You! After making my boat in 4-5 days I'll go on walleye!

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Wed May 29, 2013 6:07 am

I typically use 6-8lbs flouro for my leader. And about 8-10lbs flouro for my main line. I don't use braided line when trolling for walleyes. I troll in both directions and yes I will use bottom bouncer in both directions.

Kirika12
Angler
Angler

Post by Kirika12 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:24 am

in 3 days I'll end the boat and go fishing on it! I'll tell You about results of walleye fishing

Kirika12
Angler
Angler

Post by Kirika12 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:02 am

I was on 2 fishing trips after the last post...Only one walleye and 2 crazy bites...It's really hard to take it on hook after its short bite. It was a treble hook...but so many bites were missed. maybe one can tell me smth? What hooks to use for better results?...Not speaking about pikes - 15 were taken in 3 hours and maybe the same quantity gone off the hook. Walleye fishing is hard comparing to pikes. But it's interesting too!

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 am

You might need a medium action tip to detect the softer bites. Aslo look at where you hook the walleye. If it is right at the lip, it might mean that they are not that aggressive, that means you have to fish slightly slower. Good luck.

Kirika12
Angler
Angler

Post by Kirika12 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:44 pm

2_12.jpg
2_12.jpg (13.8 KiB) Viewed 10872 times
Thanks but the bites were so heavy! there are big holes in my jighead after its teeth! And the rod is extremely sensitive. The only reason is that walleye attacks the jighead and the hook itself is in other place a little bit =) So maybe this system of mounting the jigs are not the best? I used one oval jighead and a treble hook with the lure connected with ring...Like that =)

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:09 am

Use a conventional fixed hook jighead. That you have setup allows the hook to deflect instead of driving the point home with a solid connection, not to mention being a nightmare to drag along bottom. Walleye tend to suck in and spit out a bait in one motion, and if you are lucky, they will do it once more. You need to sting them on the initial thump.
Walleye are one of the cagiest fish out there. Use your electronics, pinpoint schools and pattern the breaks and depths that you catch them at. Vertical jig them and move on and off your intended structure, shallow then back to deep and again.
Use your T motor to move you along at 0.1 MPH and vertical jig until you get bit. Remember exactly what you just did when you do and then repeat.
I like a dropshot style rod with a tip that is soft enough to react slowly to lifting and jiggling the bait. A tip that is too fast will give the bait an unnatural motion. Med-light for 3/8 and Med for anything over a 1/2 ounce and anything deeper than 25 feet.
Use 10 lb braid for solid hookups and minimal current push from moving waters and drifting boats. A flouro leader can be beneficial in bright conditions and shallow water, but the hot bite an hour sundown to midnight, straight braid should be fine.
Berkely gulp or powerbait minnows or leaches with get you bites, but live bait may be the only thing that works on some days. Think minnows, leeches and crawlers.
Hope this helps.

Kirika12
Angler
Angler

Post by Kirika12 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:55 am

Thank YOU!!! So many information based on real experience!
But I have no motor...All my mechanics is my muscle power in boat)) But in one day I usually do near 10-15 miles...sometimes more. I am really interested in Your advice about lures types - I will try to find all models.
I prefer not fast rods too! =)

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Use light fluorocarbon main line, the line will sink in the current allowing your lure to have the proper action.

I have had success with bright colors and nail weights/rattle inserts.

I caught my biggest walleye on the river in 3ft of water on a weightless texas rig, 4/0 owner ewg, rattle insert.

Kirika12
Angler
Angler

Post by Kirika12 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:17 am

About rattle inserts - At first I/m hearing to use it with walleye fishing on soft lures, but it sounds interesting and I think it may really increase the activity of the fish. I will try to find something in shops...