rod and reel for walleye?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
belippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

rod and reel for walleye?

Post by belippy » Fri May 17, 2013 7:29 am

I usually do bass fishing, but never did walleye fishing.
Wondering what you guys use for walleye?
what size of reel, length/power of rod, what kind of baits and techniques?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: rod and reel for walleye?

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri May 17, 2013 8:22 am

Bucktail, cranks, lipless, jerkbait, soft swim bait and the trusted jig and grub.

8-12 lb mono or flouro.

Any rod or reel.

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:28 am

I'm a minority where I live because I like bass fishing more but it's walleye, walleye and more walleye. All my friends want to fish for walleye too. I go with them and here's a quick rundown what is popular with the people I know and from just being around it...Plus every store is loaded with walleye gear.

6'3" ML X fast rod with 1000 size Shimano (or equivalent brand) is common when anchoring or drifting over submerged structure and jigging over the side of the boat with a jighead tipped with a plastic grub and or a live minnow. Braid mainline and 8lb fluoro leader. Look for under water rocks, sand reefs, points and drop offs just like trying to find bass structure. Drag and bounce the jig off the bottom. Many strikes will feel like dead weight or even a light tick. Walleye can be very finicky and spit the bait if you're slow on the hook set (X fast rod helps)

7' M Fast with a 2500 size reel for casting or drift trolling a Lindy rid (walleye version of a carolina rig that uses a walking sinker) 8 lb fluoro line or braid mainline with fluoro leader. Octopus hook with minnow or crawler. There are little foam floats that go on in front of the hook to keep the bait off bottom a bit. Search for a Lindy Rig kit and for a couple bucks you get the weight, swivel, float, leader and hook all in one package...some have a blade and a few beads for extra flash.

I use a 6'8" MXF ST Croix for pretty much everything when I go. 2500 size reel and 6-8lb fluoro will do any jigging or drifting your going to do.

If you're going to be trolling with planer boards, that's something entirely diff. and I haven't done it. That's when people use crankbaits (Berkley Flicker Shads, Rapala Shad Raps and Salmo Hornets) and crawler harnesses. I don't know many that cast and crank for walleye like bass.

Walleyes usually have a very light bite and aren't going to fight like a bass at all...they won't be pulling much drag like you're used too. That's why a 1000 size reel is common for jigging.

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ppFishing » Fri May 17, 2013 12:39 pm

It depends on what you want to do. Just like bass fishing. If you are using bottom bouncer, get a bottom bouncer rod. Get a jig rod for walleye jigging. St Croix eyecon series is not bad. Shimano spinning reels for me. I typically use either the 1000 or 2500 CI4. Right now for where I am at I am trolling with shad raps and have some success with it.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Fri May 17, 2013 5:58 pm

Once in a while i do walleye, but lately i am all about drop shotting for them. My outfit is either a Shabbler with Twinpower C2000S and Toray Super Finesse #5 or Gazelle SGS with Conquest 50. I like using ultra fine wire #2 hooks rigged with Roboworm or Jackall Crosstail Shad.

belippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by belippy » Sat May 18, 2013 1:19 am

thanks for all the replies :)

In this case, a spinning rod/reel is what I need. Rod no need to be long, under 7ft. faster action, lighter line.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon May 20, 2013 2:46 am

Depends on the techs?

From 1/8oz jig and minnow/leech to cranks and minnowbaits/jerkbaits and even trolling deep divers?

All around for me, 2500 + sized spinner with 7'0" or longer Med/MH spinning rod.

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Wed May 22, 2013 6:46 am

Lately, my favorite combo has been an Evergreen Opus-1 Nero mounted on a MB Kirisame F1-66ZKS for walleye fishing in the Kawarthas and along the Trent, mostly with light jigheads and plastics, or drop shot.

It's the same combo I'll use to stalk river smallies as well.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri May 24, 2013 11:55 pm

As previously stated...it all depends on what you want to do. Trolling cranks? ...with a planer board...with lead core line...normal line... Bottom Bouncers? Slip Bobber? Jig? Rig? Split shot? And, even for each technique you can have several rods for each to cover a wide range of weights.

I jig and rig fish for the most part.

My go-to jig rod is 6'6", 1/16 - 5/16 ounce lure, Fast action. I fish a 1/6 ounce live bait jig head with a Spottail Shiner most of the time.

My go-to rig rod is 7', 1/4 - 1/2, Ex-Fast action. (Loomis P8400 GLX) 1/8 ounce Lindy No-Snag sinker, 4' snell, usually a few beads and a small float ahead of a #6 or #4 Gamakatsu Octopus hook.