Spinning Rod Casting Question ?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Robert11
Angler
Angler

Spinning Rod Casting Question ?

Post by Robert11 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:46 pm

Hello,

I guess the best answer is probably experimentation, but I have yet to really figure out what's optimum (for me).

For a 7 foot Ultralight Spinning rod, how much line should be out past the rod tip when starting your cast ?

Is it in some way (also) a function of how heavy a lure is on the end ?

Would it be different for a 6'6" rod, or something "a bit" heavier than an Ultralight rod ?

BTW: do you folks cast mainly sidearm, or more pronounced overhead ?

Thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Spinning Rod Casting Question ?

Post by Redfish » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:16 pm

I dont know if there is a proper answer to your question...experimenting as you said will probably get you better results than what I or anyone else says. I normally have about 18" of line hanging when using a spinning reel...somehow it "feels" right. With spinning I normally will use a more sideways cast...but that depends also. Fool around in the yard with a bullet weight or a plug with the hooks removed. You will find what is best for YOU!

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Robert11 wrote:Hello,

I guess the best answer is probably experimentation, but I have yet to really figure out what's optimum (for me).

For a 7 foot Ultralight Spinning rod, how much line should be out past the rod tip when starting your cast ?

Is it in some way (also) a function of how heavy a lure is on the end ?

Would it be different for a 6'6" rod, or something "a bit" heavier than an Ultralight rod ?

BTW: do you folks cast mainly sidearm, or more pronounced overhead ?

Thoughts on would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
First thing that comes to my mind with UL & pronounced overhead cast is HOOK IN ME. From your other posts you want distance and so an UL will be loading quite much with overhead cast then add the amount of line past rod tip its quite likely you're going to catch yourself.

Ed13
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Ed13 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:51 am

I like to bank fish and wade small streams and rivers. This requires casting from all angles. I often only have a foot of line out past the rod tip when casting. I am most interested in accuracy and will let the weight of the lure determine the length of line.

I like to practise cast new combos in the back yard or a nearby park to get a feel for it before taking it out on the water.

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:42 am

Ed13 wrote:I like to bank fish and wade small streams and rivers. This requires casting from all angles. I often only have a foot of line out past the rod tip when casting. I am most interested in accuracy and will let the weight of the lure determine the length of line.

I like to practise cast new combos in the back yard or a nearby park to get a feel for it before taking it out on the water.

Great Response. I just want to add that, I don't suggest overhead casting with when your working around low tree branches over your head. ](*,)

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:32 am

Ed13 wrote:I like to bank fish and wade small streams and rivers. This requires casting from all angles. I often only have a foot of line out past the rod tip when casting. I am most interested in accuracy and will let the weight of the lure determine the length of line.

Grat response!

I want to add that it also depends on tree overhangs and surroundings when rod length selection is to be determined. If you fishing tight areas with tree limbs overhead you wouldn’t want a 7 or 8 foot rod. Situations like this calls for either 6 feet or 6 ‘6 rods. Trust me I have done my fair share of bushwhacking in the past. Tight lines.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:04 am

My lure can be anywhere from 6-18" from rod tip.

Everyone needs a variety of casting techniques. Personally I use the overhead cast whenever possible. Simply because I'm more accurate that way. I don't cross another fisherman's line ever, unless I did it intentionally.

If I'm side arm casting I'm probably trying to avoid overhead tangles or trying to sling under overhead cover. Sometimes I'm merely pitching a jig so that's that.

BigAl23
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BigAl23 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:35 am

I usually put out about 12" -16"

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:38 am

8-12 inches is what i do, however you'll find a lot of it relates to how good the guide train is and what size spinning reel you have on much more so than bait casting equipment. This one area where a good custom rod usually shines.