What rod length do you use for crappie when.....

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

What rod length do you use for crappie when.....

Post by mprestonSEK » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:12 pm

What rod length do you use for crappie when you are using minnows. I feel like I should go with a longer rod, something in the 6'6 range. I am going to be using a slip float that will be set to stop at 4-5 feet. What do you guys think?

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What rod length do you use for crappie when.....

Post by Snyder Rods » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:39 am

Very general information -

Longer rod:

1) a longer rod will be softer and can protect lighter line. Edit: Will also not throw the bait off the hook as often. Moderate or moderate-fast rods will also help in this regard.

2) sweep more line and give better hooksets. Probably not much of an issue with the small hooks (the smaller the wire, the sharper the hook) used for these small fish which can be very sharp if you buy the premium pre-sharpened hooks like gamakatsu.

3) tend to be heavier - so if you are holding it all the time, you might want to opt for a shorter rod 7' or less. If you are putting it down and just watching the bobber, weight is no issue.

4) for people who like the swing the bait into holes instead of cast, some people like a longer rod for this.

Shorter rods tend to be more sensitive (probably not an issue if you will only use bobbers), lighter, and easier to transport.

mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mprestonSEK » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:57 pm

I ended up getting a Lew's Wally Marshall Signature Series rod in 6'6 ML with a fast tip. I found them for half off and couldn't resist. Still waiting for it to arrive. The anticipation is killing me.

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:33 pm

i love my 6ft rod for crappies,
its great for minnows and jigging.
its a daiwa V.I.P. rod for smallmouth,
but i love using it for crappies.
i recently had an accident with it,
waiting for it to return from daiwa.
i can NOT wait any longer!