best topwater frogs

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: best topwater frogs

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:06 pm

jmb27 wrote:
i_am_R2 wrote:I find the iobee frog the easiest to walk too and the action seems more lively than other frogs. Only potential downside is that it is a pretty big frog but as they sat big baits for big fish
My last frog fish (really warm day in early November), was a dink (10-12 inches) that hit the Iobee pretty hard. Had both hooks in the top of his mouth. :lol:
Haha a pic of that would have been awesome!

leighton03
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by leighton03 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 pm

X's 2 on Ish's Phat frog!!!!

I have fished pretty much all hollow body frogs out there, and I absolutely love these frogs! Ish got it right with these frogs! I love the size, the fact that they are just a touch bigger than the usual is great, but not as big as some of the other brands bigger models...kinda the best of both worlds. Don't get me wrong there are still occasions that I still fish other brands and sizes of frogs, but day in day out these are def my go to frog for here on my home waters of the Cal Delta! This is obviously just my opinion....but I believe that's exactly what you were asking for in this post!

kazama
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kazama » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:18 pm

I recommend Ever Green's Kicker Frog 8-)

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:21 pm

i think spro is outdated,
koppers live target frog looks really nice.

DanfromMD
Angler
Angler

Post by DanfromMD » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:51 am

Koppers live target...the smallest ones...1/4 oz ( I think ) . I get the most strikes and a really good hook up ratio. Highly recommended.

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:46 am

Love the Jackall Iobee frogs....wish they would come out with some more colors in the future.

DammitKhoa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DammitKhoa » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:34 am

From Deps to megabass to USDM brands, I always go back to two frogs though: Spros and a handmade lure from Thailand known as the lucky frog. You can check them here: https://www.facebook.com/LuckyFrog2012.

Cool little detail: they're handmade and carved from a sacred Thai wood. They also have metal rattles inside which helps with casting and imo is the most fun to fish with. A little expensive though.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:28 am

Snap proof frogs are great, body is soft.

FishingKing11
Angler
Angler

Post by FishingKing11 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:29 am

For hollow bodies I use Koppers and Booyah and for soft plastic, nothing beat a horny toad!

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:39 am

Jackall Iobee frog walks the best while it is usually more expensive definitely my favorite.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:53 pm

I've tried most brands. Haven't tried iobee or livetarget or snag proof.

The nervous walker was one of my favorites. Super soft and had a rattle.

My current favorite is spro due to the diverse lineup and color selection. The plastic is not as soft as others but that makes them more durable. Bending hooks or upsizing hooks fixes that problem.

Megabass frog is okay. Soft and walks well. Really any frog walks sufficiently. Tail on it is tucked tighter and gives a different profile from most frogs on market. Not worth the money imo.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:22 am

Hi,

I have used the Jackall Iobee frog, and I agree with all of you that it's really easy to walk it. However, whenever I use it on top of weeds, the hooks always get stuck on them or bring all that vegetation. Does this happen to you guys or is it just me?

Thanks.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:47 pm

I've never had any problems with it in weeds but I believe it's designed more for open water. I wrap some tiny heat shrink around the legs to keep those from getting caught in the hooks.

Cyacnba
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cyacnba » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:42 am

I never thought about that, I will take that into consideration next time. Thanks!

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:44 am

Jackall iobee walks the dog like a dream and have beautiful paint job, but as already said they are not as weedless as other frogs and have also silicon legs which hang on the hooks after each cast, they also tend to take on water after several fish. Too much cons for the premium price.

My favorite is the booyah pad crusher : cast like a bullet, walks easily, unsinkable, soft but still durable body, quality hooks and cheap. Best quality / price ratio IMO.

Live target are just as good, even better in term of finish and paint job but twice the price.