Study Abroad in the USA!Where?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Tinalex
Angler
Angler

Study Abroad in the USA!Where?

Post by Tinalex » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:22 pm

Hello Guys,

My Name is Alex. I am from Germany. I will visit the US for one semester next summer. I apllied at several universities and got confirmations from California State Fullerton, University of Tampa, Hawaii Pacific University.
My biggest hobby is fishing. I love spinn fishing. In germany espacially perch pike and walleye fishing. I want to fish in the US too. It has always been my dream to fish in the US.
Which is the best place to fish?Tampa, Fullerton or Honolulu?Can you tell me something about those places?

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Study Abroad in the USA!Where?

Post by Pen3 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:05 pm

Pike and Walleye.... Good luck finding walleye in Cali or hawaii. You are better off in the northern states.

Tinalex
Angler
Angler

Post by Tinalex » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:06 am

No I am not searching for pikes and walleyes....I have them at home. I am looking for largemouth , smallmouth bass etc!

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:23 am

Florida and California would be you best choices if pursuing LM bass. In Florida most canals and ponds hold population of LM bass (along with other species -Oscar, Bowfin, Bluegill, Shellcracker and often times a population of Snook).

Access is easy and most of these waters are fish-able from the shoreline.

I'd check Google Maps for the university you are considering and then look around each campus and surrounding area for fish-able waters (any small ponds you see will likely hold fish as will FW canals and lakes).

I know Univ of Tampa has a waterway close by but I believe it's SW. You may have to plan on a "road trip to reach the type of waters I mentioned since the University of Tampa is in an urban location.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:36 am

I don't know about you, but Hawaii would be hard for me to pass up. ;)

PittsBoy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PittsBoy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:46 am

mhood wrote:I don't know about you, but Hawaii would be hard for me to pass up. ;)
+1

Some bass, peacock and you can't beat saltwater fishing!

Tinalex
Angler
Angler

Post by Tinalex » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 am

The University of tampa would be my favorite. Hawaii would be the favorite place...Fullerton is unknown...
I do not really know much about fishing in the US! Is it everywhere possible to fish from the shoreline?We mostly fish from the shoreline in germany.
How difficult is it to fish in the US?

Thank you so much for your answers you are helping me alot!

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:04 am

There is a competitive bass fishing circuit at the collegiate level. One thought might be to look up the schools that rank highly -- presumably they would have good access to bass fishing grounds nearby.

If you're really keen, maybe you could end up joining a team - with the bonus of not just competing in US-style tournaments, but having access to a boat and of course, meeting other enthusiastic anglers.

Sample resource link (there may be others): http://www.collegiatebasschampionship.com/

shengyu25
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by shengyu25 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Hey guys,

I just got onto a 1 year exchange too in the Bay area near San Francisco. Ive fished quite abit in Asia for peacock bass, snakeheads and other fresh/salt water species.

Does anyone know any lake I could go to on a weekly basis for some fishing? I have no preference for target species though preferably catch em on lures. Any advice and guidance would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Shengyu

scatter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by scatter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 pm

Hawaii has tuna and marlin, why would you want to fish for bass? I always thought the Americans loved them because they're all they have access to in all the landlocked states.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:21 am

California is the only state that has both smallmouth & largemouth of the three you listed.

klondike1024
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by klondike1024 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:37 am

Tampa FL is great for LMB fishing. That said, it would be tough to pass up a chance to go to Hawaii.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:56 am

Question to Floridians
Why so many ponds in FL fenced around it with no access, and those ponds are not someone private property? Sometimes you can see a nice pond with big bass living there next to a mall or a parking lot and you can't really fish it.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:01 am

Tinalex wrote:Hello Guys,

Which is the best place to fish?Tampa, Fullerton or Honolulu?Can you tell me something about those places?
In Cali you can get great LM, striper, spotted bass, if you willing travel north - salmon and trout.
Florida is a definitely saltwater paradise plus great LM fishery.
Hawaii - should be great saltwater fishing, and freshwater isn't really good, because of limited number of lakes.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:14 am

Cracker wrote:Question to Floridians
Why so many ponds in FL fenced around it with no access, and those ponds are not someone private property? Sometimes you can see a nice pond with big bass living there next to a mall or a parking lot and you can't really fish it.

Likely a liability issue required of the property owners by the insurance company. Also may be an attempt to keep gators from establishing themselves there and potentially being a hazard to people nearby.