Study Abroad in the USA!Where?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
JonathanSeto
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Study Abroad in the USA!Where?

Post by JonathanSeto » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:37 am

In terms of overall experience I’d suggest going to Hawaii. One of my friends went to University of Hawaii and he seemed to do a lot of fishing. Mostly saltwater. Plus it’s hawaii!

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:30 am

scatter wrote:Hawaii has tuna and marlin, why would you want to fish for bass? I always thought the Americans loved them because they're all they have access to in all the landlocked states.
CA has a great tuna bite in the summer. We have smaller marlin also. I fish for them all, but largemouth is my passion. I prefer freshwater. I lived on Maui. I got island fever in a hurry. Not enough bass fishing. I fish for smallmouth in SoCal also. Lake Havasu is great for smallmouth.

bpettus2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bpettus2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:27 pm

I bet it’s to keep the gators out mostly . My vote for you would be Cali knock out all species while you there

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Cracker wrote:Question to Floridians
Why so many ponds in FL fenced around it with no access, and those ponds are not someone private property? Sometimes you can see a nice pond with big bass living there next to a mall or a parking lot and you can't really fish it.

Yep, they do that to deter the gators from taking up residence next to those strip malls and parking lots.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:04 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Cracker wrote:Question to Floridians
Why so many ponds in FL fenced around it with no access, and those ponds are not someone private property? Sometimes you can see a nice pond with big bass living there next to a mall or a parking lot and you can't really fish it.

Yep, they do that to deter the gators from taking up residence next to those strip malls and parking lots.

They actually do it to keep people away from the water and any potential liability that might entail. That might include encountering an alligator or drowning, ect...

Alligators inhabit many (if not most) of these fenced or unfenced retention areas/ponds. They are often transient and get into the fenced ones via the inflow or outflow structures that accompany most of these ponds.