I need some help from the pros here

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Oneeye
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

I need some help from the pros here

Post by Oneeye » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:25 am

Hello, I am from Bosnia and live in the states now. I mostly fish for trout. I started fishing for bass and catfish at the
lake and got one big striper and was totally hooked. I cant decide what reel and rod to buy. I would like a long rod I dont own a boat so fishing from the bank. I used my fathers small rods but they are not very good for casting far. if I put blue back herring and try to cast far the fish just comes off. So i am looking for a tall rod that is flexible maybe 8-9 feet? What reel would you recommend with that rod? I plan on going surf fishing in florida destin area so i dont wanna buy new setup would like to use the same rod and reel if possible. Thank you very much.

Sorry for my english my third language

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: I need some help from the pros here

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:45 am

sounds like a long spinning rod and reel would be a good choice but I don't think you will get a rod'reel that will double as a surf combo unless you want to use a 4 or 5 series spinning del for the pond but its to heavy . you can get a 7'6 cumura spinning rod on sale right now from most online stores like tackle warehouse and match it with a 2500 spinning reel or 3000 and load it up with mono but I would prefer braid. some 15# power pro will work wonders

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:32 pm

I have a couple 'big' rods I use for catfish and striper here in KS; I suppose they would be ok for surf fishing as well (know one would). I don't think you'll be able to use any "surf" setup for trout fishing though. They're really polar opposites, trout fishing is all aboutfinesse and surf is all about casting and power. The closest thing would probably be an Inshore or Musky series spinning rod in that 8' range, med-heavy or heavy with a fast action would be the best bet I would think. A lot of it depends on your price range as well.

Here's my catfish/striper setups for what it's worth:
First is a 7'3" Med-Heavy Carrot Stik Bluewater with a Saros 4000F; I can cast 1-3oz with this one without any issue using 15lb mono. If I stepped it up to 15-20lb braid I could probably cast it a mile. This is a great all-around catfish/striper rod for lake fishing.

My surf rod is a 10'6" Med-Heavy Okuma Evx with an Abu Garcia Soron STX60 and 30lb Sufix 832. This one can send anywhere from 1-8oz flying pretty well, though I'd say the sweet spot is around 3-4oz. The EVx is a pretty slick rod, very lightweight for its size.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:39 am

Look for a popping, also called an inshore rod with a moderate to moderate-fast action, they are softer for casting live bait.

Oneeye
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Oneeye » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Thank you very much guys. you have made my search easier. Ill check all these tips out.