Jig Rig (jika rig)

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
taftbass2012
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Jig Rig (jika rig)

Post by taftbass2012 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:11 pm

Any one been using this technique to punch threw grass or to fish around strutcure? Heading to delta this week thought i would give it a try with a brushog.

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jig Rig (jika rig)

Post by Jighead61 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:25 am

I have not used it for punching, but it's been very effective for all other applications.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:22 am

I have been fishing this rig since the beginning of spring with good success. I could not find any weighted the way I would like so I made my own. I prefer the weight to be similar to what I would use for a football or pitching jig in the same or similar situation. I have fished the rig in all types of structure and cover and in my opinion it is more weedless than a comparable football type jig, it is also very good in wood and rock, with very few hang-ups.

I have had the best luck on rigs weighted with either 3/8 or 1/2, and once the grass gets a little thicker here will probably move to 5/8. Here is a pic of one of the rigs I build myself.

runmax07
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax07 » Tue May 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Youtube has some info on how to fish this rig...........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QesEuxQnfRQ

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:12 am

Tavery5 wrote:I have been fishing this rig since the beginning of spring with good success. I could not find any weighted the way I would like so I made my own. I prefer the weight to be similar to what I would use for a football or pitching jig in the same or similar situation. I have fished the rig in all types of structure and cover and in my opinion it is more weedless than a comparable football type jig, it is also very good in wood and rock, with very few hang-ups.

I have had the best luck on rigs weighted with either 3/8 or 1/2, and once the grass gets a little thicker here will probably move to 5/8. Here is a pic of one of the rigs I build myself.

What weights are you using to assemble those? I love the profile and color.
www.FlyFishOhio.com - Fly Fishing And More!

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:27 pm

The weights are poured by a local for me with a crane swivel, I do the powder coating on them. I have tried several variations of this rig, and I can honestly say that they all fish very similar. My favorites are still in the heavier weights 3/8 and 1/2 oz.

Deaknh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Deaknh » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:57 pm

I made my own as well, I used dropshot weights, try to find the ones with the open eye, not crimped. I saved a bunch, as the premade ones are a ripoff.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:50 pm

hey guys, I'm wondering how you guys are fishing this rig? I've been trying this out the last couple of trips with no avail. I'm also wondering if you guys are trying your line direct to the hook eye or the split ring that connects between the hook eye and the dropshot weight?

Silas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Silas » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:02 pm

I've been using the Jika rig, 3/16 for a couple of weeks with the 3 1/2" YUKI bug that they recommend. I tied the fluoro 8# to the split ring as they advise, to let the hook and weight swing free.

Have had great success fishing mouths of run-outs in the bayous down here. Cast it out, let in sink, and hop it, let it sit for a few seconds and hop it again. The Yuki Bug is a killer!!

I cast it on a super light rig.....Rattle Viper and a Steez. Very effective!

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:08 pm

beezy wrote:hey guys, I'm wondering how you guys are fishing this rig? I've been trying this out the last couple of trips with no avail. I'm also wondering if you guys are trying your line direct to the hook eye or the split ring that connects between the hook eye and the dropshot weight?

I had been wondering the same thing on where to tie the line. The middle pic looks like there are 2 swivels between the hook and sinker. I've seen that before and assumed you tie in the middle so the bait and worm both swing freely...wondered how that would be for sensitivity? I'm looking forward to messing with this set up if the ice ever melts.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:50 pm

You tie it on the ring and fish it like any bottom contact jig or hop it.