Help with hollow top shot

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Help with hollow top shot

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:39 pm

I need help finding which PE lines can be used for doing hollow top shots.

I have looked to a couple of 8 carrier PE lines but I'm unsure about the possibility of splicing them.
Daiwa samurai?
Sunline FX2?

What are the available 50lb 16 carrier PE lines despite the very expensive Toray hollow braid?
And how about 30lb 16 carrier PE lines? Am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Help with hollow top shot

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:04 am

Bump :whistle:

bigswaim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigswaim » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:59 pm

Maybe look into Jerry Brown spectra, it's one of the most popular choices with the long range guys out of San Diego and comes in hollow as light as 40#. I will be looking into the option in the next year or so when I'm outta school since it's so expensive.
http://alliwantisbass.blogspot.com/

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:47 am

bigswaim wrote:Maybe look into Jerry Brown spectra, it's one of the most popular choices with the long range guys out of San Diego and comes in hollow as light as 40#. I will be looking into the option in the next year or so when I'm outta school since it's so expensive.

Many thanks .

I just looked to the Power Pro Hollow Ace. It seems to be the same as Jerry Brown spectra. Maybe is being done at the same place.

bigswaim
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bigswaim » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:08 pm

Ah, totally forgot about Hollow Ace. They have the kit with the instructional DVD, needles, and some spectra for about $100USD. Great deal considering it comes with the Daho needle kit which retails roughly $90 I believe.
http://alliwantisbass.blogspot.com/

The Way
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by The Way » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:09 am

Im curious about this post myself. I remember finding topshotting really interesting a few years back...but couldnt afford it at the time. Now I can - but cant seem to find much for bass fishing. Anyone have a primer for me?
~Ryan

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:57 am

bigswaim wrote:Ah, totally forgot about Hollow Ace. They have the kit with the instructional DVD, needles, and some spectra for about $100USD. Great deal considering it comes with the Daho needle kit which retails roughly $90 I believe.
Thanks.

I check it out and I'm planing in ordering only the ones I need like a needle to 20lb, another for 30lb and probably the needle with the loop. Probably I can trim this out to only the 30lb needle and spend the rest in extra spool of hollow.

Also I decided to keep the main line as 8 carrier non hollow line. I can connect to the hollow top shot with a loop to the main line and this way I can use the expensive hollow braid only for the braid to fluorocarbon connection.

Something like this: PE 8 carrier + Hollow PE + FC leader.

This gives me the advantage of having replacement leaders (Hollow PE + FC leader) ready to use just in case something goes wrong plus cheaper main line with identical characteristics in terms of roundness.

The thing missing is a PE thread for doing the nail knot. Still need to check if it exists and what is the diameters available. I would like something very thin to avoid having big transition in the connection.

Also, I found some proper glue to bond the connection making the above nail knot unnecessary.

Dear The Way, hope this answers also some of your questions.