Trout fishing

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
fishingirl
Angler
Angler

Trout fishing

Post by fishingirl » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:05 am

I mostly have fished for peacock bass here in Florida, but will be making a trip up the Sierra's next month. I don't have much experience fishing for trout but I am looking for a nice backapcking outfit. Anybody have any experience with the new G'Loomis escape rods? How do they compare with the St. Croix 4 pc rods?

Thanks!
Fishingirl

Vador
TT Staff Angler
TT Staff Angler

Re: Trout fishing

Post by Vador » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:43 pm

Dear Fishing Girl!

I actually have been using the new escape series from Loomis. I used it durring my testing with the Stradic MgF infact. Zander and Jip have the most experience here with backpacking through Yosemite and fishing the streams there. I have yet to take the Escape on one of these trips. Last time I went backpacking with fishing gear, I used an ultra-light one piece Okuma that was 4"4' i think! I wouldnt reccomend it. It was still way too long; getting cought in tree limbs and stuff. The Escape review is in the works still. It performs very well and I am very happy with is so far. I think the weight I have might be too much power for a trout however 2002 G'Loomis Escape (3pcs) 7', 4-8 lb., 1/16 - 5/16 oz., Fast Action). It does seem to lack "feel" from what I am used to. But a lighter weight Escape would probably be an excellent choice for your adventure!

For trout in the Sierra's while backpacking, Ultra-light gear is a given, but I would be hesitant to "reccomend" somthing for you. I think that Zander or Jip would be better suited for this question.

Please let us all know how your trip goes and what equipment you used! Pictures would be awsome too if you are so inclined!

fishingirl
Angler
Angler

Post by fishingirl » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:58 pm

Thanks Vador,

Wow, 4'4" too long? Thats already a tiny rod. I think anything less then 6 feet would be fine for me. I'll send some pics after the trip. I think I will ahve to try the Escape rod, since I am very confident in the Loomis graphite fly rods I have used.

Thanx.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bitesize » Sat May 03, 2003 11:51 am

If you need some recommendations for trout lures,
Panther Martins work best for small streams and rivers.
They are killer lures anywhere for trout fishing.

albackore
Angler
Angler

Post by albackore » Thu May 08, 2003 11:45 am

So, fishingirl, how was the fishing in the Eastern Sierra? What lakes or rivers did you fish? How was the bite?