Skipping your cast

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
JDietsch
Angler
Angler

Re: Skipping your cast

Post by JDietsch » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:06 pm

Like a lot of the above comments have said, practice. If you can't get to the water to practice, I've found that you can do it on pavement like in your driveway. Take a jig that you are not going to fish with, maybe it has a messed up hook or weedguard to use and just imagine it sliding across the surface of the water, which is what you want to do. Use a kind of a side-arm/roll cast with a rod with some tip in it and you should be pretty good after some practice.
"Take the road less traveled."

sofinesse
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sofinesse » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 pm

here is a video of Gerald swindle instructing on skipping:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYzCqmkU24g
pretty informative.

1600tf
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 1600tf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:00 pm

I find skipping with a baitcaster easier with centrifugal vs. Magnetic brake systems. Anyone else feel the same?

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:57 am

1600tf wrote:I find skipping with a baitcaster easier with centrifugal vs. Magnetic brake systems. Anyone else feel the same?
I try not to use "skipping", "baitcaster" and "easier" in the same sentence. :big grin:
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 am

1600tf wrote:I find skipping with a baitcaster easier with centrifugal vs. Magnetic brake systems. Anyone else feel the same?
I find linear magnetic brakes the easiest to skip. So in my daiwas, I'll use a fixed inductor or tune it. The Revo premier is an excellent skipper with its linear mag braking and very lightweight spool. ;)

Many love the way shimano DC braking skips, but I'm much more comfortable with mag brakes.
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 am

Best video I've found so far on baitcaster pitching and skipping: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sevXix_4 ... ture=share