How bad is the snakehead problem?

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
fob bob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How bad is the snakehead problem?

Post by fob bob » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:08 pm

wahoo wrote:in addition to banhock's comments, the snakehead was known to have medicinal values for quick healing of internal injuries. Post natal women recover much faster if they consume the fish.

would love to see the scientific evidence proving the medicinal values for post natal women. recovery as in speed versus average time for women? uterus returning to prepregancy levels faster? so many topics... which is it?

baoxlaox81
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by baoxlaox81 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:33 am

PhilPar wrote:Please don't let them show up in Florida. We have enough crazy stuff down here.
Their already in Florida. I've talked to a guide that targets them in the rivers and canals. Plus a friend of mine caught one last year that he said was roughly 10lbs, this was in the Ft. Lauderdale area.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:33 am

How big does your snakeheads grow to?

Over here in the tropics on the other side of the world, our snakeheads grow to excess of 30lbs easily.

My personal best is a 28.7lbs giant snakehead.

However, these fishes rarely make it to adulthood. They are suckered by the peacock basses way before they reach adulthood. =p

bassinbrad12
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bassinbrad12 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:52 pm

During a tourney this summer on the Potomac, I caught two. Both were over 9lbs. :shock:
I was there all week and out of three boats prefishing, we boated 20ish in a week. Several break/bite offs as well. It is exhilarating to see "the toilet flush" when those jokers eat a frog!

Btw, first post here! Loooonnnnggggg time lurker. :mrgreen:

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:43 am

Stan Wright wrote:I agree, the Punji (snakeshead) have an explosive strike. Watch out for the teeth. Our bass fishermen here in Hawaii have had lots of expensive lures chewed to pieces.

The best part is they taste great. Brought to Hawaii as a food fish, they are almost gone and are rarely caught because of over fishing.
If you are lucky enough to catch one... watch those teeth while cleaning.
and enjoy a great eating fish.
Aloha,
Stan

Hi Stan,

This is my first time fishing at Ayer Ganda, Perak-Malaysia for Giant Snakehead.

I just love this beautiful place :)

My 1st little mama Giant Snakehead

Knowing the fries and her partner are waiting for her to come back and it's about time to let it go where it belongs

Another one, this time is a small male Giant Snakehead

Abu Revo MGX
St Croix Avid/ AVC62MXF
20lbs invisible Line
Rapala DT-Flat 07, BOS= Bleeding Olive Shiner

Regards,
Wirinhar

flaswimbaiter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flaswimbaiter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:32 pm

My "problem" is getting a hook into one. I lost a bunch last time I was down south.

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Maybe specifically targeting them would help minimize their impact.

In our side of the world, we use frogs to catch them. They particularly love Spro's Bronzeye Jr in Putty Black, Midnight walker, and Green Tree. We also use smaller dark bodied spinners with dual Colorado blades. If you want to target them, try the water's edge where they usually hang out. We normally cast parallel to the banks. They don't usually stay in middle of ponds or lakes.

Here's a preview on how fun it is to catch them specially on Top Water.
The real action is in the latter part of the video.

[youtube]KLzo29icL7Q[/youtube]
Last edited by alex09 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nickysdad
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by nickysdad » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:10 pm

alex09 wrote:...

The real action is in the latter part of the video.

[youtube]7QKXgc-7TCM[/youtube]
:shock: :shock: :shock: Getting one is def on the "list". What line test are you guys using when you're specifically targeting them?

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:11 pm

nickysdad wrote: :shock: :shock: :shock: Getting one is def on the "list". What line test are you guys using when you're specifically targeting them?
The lowest is 20lb braid. The guy in the video is using heavier lines for Northern Snakeheads on heavy cover. I believe they were using 80-100lb braid.

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:11 pm

baoxlaox81 wrote:
PhilPar wrote:Please don't let them show up in Florida. We have enough crazy stuff down here.
Their already in Florida. I've talked to a guide that targets them in the rivers and canals. Plus a friend of mine caught one last year that he said was roughly 10lbs, this was in the Ft. Lauderdale area.
In- Fisherman did a segment on one of there shows where they were catching them on a canal in Florida

nickysdad
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by nickysdad » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 am

alex09 wrote:The lowest is 20lb braid. The guy in the video is using heavier lines for Northern Snakeheads on heavy cover. I believe they were using 80-100lb braid.
Wow, 80-100lb braid, another excuse to buy more gear :big grin: ...thank you for the info.

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:38 pm

I'm from the Phililippines and snakehead is a native species there, they taste good , back when I was still living in the Philippines, we never had any problem with them co-existing with different species, last year I went back for a visit and got a chance to fish for large mouth bass, they BTW (LMB Florida strain) where introduce by the American's some 50+ years ago or more ( correct me if i'm wrong), when they still have their bases in the Philippines as they help to protect the pacific region from communist treat, anyway, the LMB have successfully intergrated with the other local species which includes the snakehead, back when I was still living there, LMB can only be found on the man made lake in Kaliraya lake in Laguna, and now the locals have transplanted them in different area of the country and I was surprise that they have adopted well with the local species and they have generated income to the country game fishing industries and have educated locals on how to catch them, as well as how to not over fish and instead how to save the waters and its environment. perhaps if snakehead is an invasive species, I would believe that LMB would not have survive when they where first introduce there.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:26 am

I'm in Florida... River Monsters did an episode about the Snakehead and one of the segments... fishing for them in metropolitan canals... was filmed minutes from my house. I may have caught one once, but it was before I had ever heard of them and they look so much like Mudfish (Bowfin), I can't be sure. I usually fish plastic worms for bass, perhaps they prefer faster, flashier lures. The story is they were introduced here by amateur commercial fisherman so that they could be caught later to sell to markets. They must be good eating, that's why they are here.

Bowfin: Or mudfish, as they are called here, are thought of as a trash fish, like gar. They average about 4 lbs., so they are bigger than the average bass and fun to catch. Not as fun as bass though, they don't jump as readily and are not as long-fighting as the bass. The meat is mushy, I don't think they are a good eating fish. When I was a kid, my dad and I used to catch them by the truckload and grind them up for cat and dog food. The Indians used to eat them, but they will eat anything.

Butterfly Peacock: These were introduced to South Florida decades ago. I caught a 7lber back in '92 which was probably the record at the time. The record is now around 10lbs. Pound for pound they are stronger than bass, but not as acrobatic. They are real tackle busters though, vicious fish. They are not really a bass though - more like a Cichlid. Then again, a bass is really a sunfish.

Walking fish: I have seen a couple of walking catfish in the street after a heavy rain. I assume they came in via the storm drains from the canals. They may not really walk, but they sure can travel!

Tilapia: The best bass fishing I have ever seen was on an ex-Tilapia farm.

LilMofo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LilMofo » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Just read news article north east they r paying 200 bucks a head. If I lived there I quit my job and go fishing :)

I wish they had them here in Cali, I love the fight. Peacock bass too.....

Invasive species can have its benefits.

Only bad invasive species is the Asian carp.

They should just net them for fertilizer
and thats FoShoLilMoFo!

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:46 am

Actually,a bit of misinformation going around about the nasty critter that is the snakehead,and what exactly the state of Maryland is willing to shell out for help in eradicating the nuisance..Maryland DNR is asking folks who catch them to send in a pic of the caught and then beheaded beast,and at the end of the year,3 winners will be selected from all entrants to receive some sort of prize,be it a 200 BPS giftcard or whatever else they are giving away-but,there is no 200 per fish bounty going on...so dont everyone pack for Md.,you will end up disappointed 8-) Here is a link to video provided by Md. DNR discussing this issue in entirety-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBflLIbF ... r_embedded