Shimano Japan...

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
BOX-22
Angler
Angler

Shimano Japan...

Post by BOX-22 » Mon May 05, 2003 8:08 pm

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/

Not quite sure what all is going on there but it sure looks pretty sweet. Check out the 3D gallery.

bitesize
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Japan...

Post by bitesize » Mon May 05, 2003 9:39 pm

In Japan they have a lot more stuff than they do elsewhere, at least from Shimano and Daiwa brands. I dont think people in the US will get any warranty if they buy them from Japan and bring them home though.
I don't own any. Not needed, but it's just cool what they have.
The 3D views are awesome. How hard was it for them to make something that like on the web. Hmm... :-k

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Mon May 05, 2003 9:48 pm

There's a reel, that as far as I know, is only available in Japan and Brazil (not too surprising because Brazil has the largest population of Japanese in the world living outside of Japan). It's called the Scorpion Antares and looks to me like a Calais. It is about 10 grams lighter and has one more ball bearing, but I don't know the other particulars except that is is twice the price of the Calais here in Brazil. Too rich for my blood. I've got a friend, Fernando Lopes, who is a Brazilian fishing show star here in the Amazon region, who has two of them. He hasn't ever let me use one of them though :( Can't say that I blame him at US$700 a pop.
Last edited by MigueldaMata on Tue May 06, 2003 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

BOX-22
Angler
Angler

Post by BOX-22 » Tue May 06, 2003 5:57 am

bitesize wrote:In Japan they have a lot more stuff than they do elsewhere, at least from Shimano and Daiwa brands. I dont think people in the US will get any warranty if they buy them from Japan and bring them home though.
I don't own any. Not needed, but it's just cool what they have.
The 3D views are awesome. How hard was it for them to make something that like on the web. Hmm... :-k
The 3D isn't anything too hard in terms of modeling and textures. Just about any college student taking a modeling class could replicate it. The kind of crappy thing is that it requires a special plug-in for your browser to view. Pretty slick though... :)

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Tue May 06, 2003 7:13 am

If you buy a reel from Japan and bring it to the US, it is still under the lifetime warranty. You just have to pay for the shipping though which is probably expensive.

maxilim
Angler
Angler

Post by maxilim » Tue May 06, 2003 8:05 am

If you are truly interested in Japanese Tackle and don't mind paying an arm and a leg for them, check out.

http://www.japantackle.com

Get ready to drool. It's a shame that Japan gets all the cool stuff. Hell even their cars are better there and turbo charged of course. I must say there are some good reels in the US and companies like Quantum has taken some very large steps in their PT series of rods and reels. But, those scorpions are hard to beat.