A nice 18 lb. Peacock Bass

Discussions focused on the pursuit of freshwater species
JIP
Site Admin
Site Admin

A nice 18 lb. Peacock Bass

Post by JIP » Mon May 05, 2003 7:55 pm

This is a foto of me with an 18lb peacock bass. I don't get many fotos of me with a fish. I'm usually on the other end of the camera. This fish was caught on a Stamina Temptress Peacock Minnow jerk bait, color Firetiger, (7 inch and 1-1/2 oz), using a Falcon FC7-166 6'6" heavy action rod, an Abu Garcia 5600C4 reel and PowerPro 80 lb test line. This is the same size as my biggest fly caught peacock and 5 lbs less than my biggest lure caught peacock. (of which I don't have fotos....not digital at least. They were caught in my pre-digital days). Caught in a lagoon off of the Rio Araca in the upper Rio Negro region of the Amazon.

Tight lines,

MigueldaMata

AquaFish
Angler
Angler

Re: A nice 18 lb. Peacock Bass

Post by AquaFish » Tue May 06, 2003 1:55 pm

That peacock doesn't look as colorful as others I have seen.
Is there a reason why? I am no peacock bass expert
and have only caught a few in FL before.
This one seems to be missing some stripes. :shock:

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Tue May 06, 2003 4:15 pm

This one is a Cichla temensis, which is often called the speckled peacock, because of the ink splotch looking markings on the operculum. There are at least two major color variations of this species. The Brazilians call them by separate names, but until now IGFA and most scientists lump them in the same category/species. This one is known locally as a tucunare acu, usually the brighter colored with yellow green body and three large black bars on his side.....but that can vary. In heavily stained water they often get quite dark and the bars blend in with the darker body, as in this case. Common name for this one amongst many American fishermen is barred, or 3 bar, peacock. The other is called tucunare paca (also Cichla temensis) and has a brownish green (or brownish blue-green to even some purple tinges at times) body with 4-5 rows of white dots down his side and he may or may not have three black bars....often if they are there, they are a faded black. Fishermen commonly call that variation the speckled peacock.

There is supposed to be a new major work due out by an Amazonian icthyologist identifying at least 14 different species of peacock bass. I have caught at least 6 different ones, maybe more if you are a splitter instead of a lumper. We'll have to see what the scientists have to say, soon I hope.

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Re: More Peacock Pictures

Post by MigueldaMata » Tue May 06, 2003 8:18 pm

These 4 fotos are all Cichla temensis, but only one is what we commonly called a speckled peacock, or locally tucunare paca. . The other 3 barred peacocks (locally called tucunare acu) show a range of color variations.

The nice 14 lb. speckled peacock caught by Phil Jensen of Luhr Jensen lures is a classic speckled peacock (tucunare paca). Any doubt who made the lure that he caught it on?

The pretty bright yellow gold 13 lb. barred peacock (tucunare acu) with 3 dark black bars was caught by Brian Duplechain, a Lake Fork (TX) bass guide and crappie guide of renown in Texas and Lousiana.

Gonzalo Gonzales of Mexico City is holding a beautiful 18 lb peacock with a dark green back that fades into a beautiful green-gold with belly and fins of bright red.

Larry Larsen (author of many bass and peacock bass books) is holding a 23 lb barred peacock that he caught. Its greenish back fades into yellow with three black bars. This fish was caught during lower water time when the water was clearer and thus exhibits a slightly faded coloration.

I have already posted a foto of me with a darkly colored peacock bass that came from a lagoon with deeply tannin stained waters. All 5 of these fish came from the same general area, but genetics, water coloration, and who knows what else contribute to a variety of colorations. But you can bet one thing, they were all a lot of fun to catch!!!

Tight lines,

Mike

marito
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by marito » Thu May 22, 2003 10:05 pm

Hi there. I'm realy new on fishing, but let me tell you that I realy tought those fishes where plastic(toy) fishes. LOL. Yea I must be new.

dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dazzle » Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:47 pm

Curious, do Peacock bass turn even more colorful during spawn
season or when two males are fighting like cichlids?

--Daz

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:27 am

Daz,

Peacock bass are cichlids. However, I am not sure if they get more colorful during spawn. They do grow the big "top knot" and some people believe that their red eyes are only red when they are fighting, excited or stressed. Not much scientific study has been done on peacock bass, like the sport fish of the US. Brasil's equivalent of fish and game doesn't have the resources. There are some studies going on now through INPA and it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Tight lines,

Mike

dazzle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dazzle » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:30 pm

Those are some HUGE cichlids! My african cichlids
are nothing compared to them peacock bass!
I see my aquarium fish fight and strike at food,
the large peacocks must slam the lures hard!

--Daz

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:58 am

Daz,

There is not another fresh water sport fish like them when it comes to top water strikes. It is like someone threw a stick of dynamite in the water when a big one strikes your top water lures. I have seen them knock a 2 oz lure 10 feet in the air and over 10 feet away from where they hit it, only to strike it again as soon as it hits the water.

In the darkly stained water where we normally fish for them, it can be quite a jolting surprise when they strike. First time peacock fishermen are often left stunned and motionless with their mouth hanging open with the first strike of one of the monsters. I was fishing in a clear creek near my lodge one day and watched one come from over 30 feet away at full speed to strike my lure.

You gotta experience it to believe it, but peacock bass fishing is the most fun you can have with a rod and reel.

Tight lines,

Mike

gyro
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by gyro » Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:09 pm

Miguel,

I noticed that you used an ABU baitcaster to catch that nice peacock. What do u think of the ABU Ultra cast 6500 baitcaster? My friend is thinking of selling his.

MigueldaMata
Angler
Angler

Post by MigueldaMata » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:49 am

Gyro,

I like the Abu reels. I have one 6500 but it is not the Ultra Cast. Mine does not have the thumb bar that I like on the 5600 C4. It has a cast button on the upper right side of the frame. I am not sure if any of the 6500 size come with a thumb bar cast release. I also like the 5600's because their smaller size makes them easier to palm. Capacity is good enough for me too with 205 yds of 12 lb test. The 6500 has more capacity and consequently is a little larger. If you are using for salt water the 6500 is probably a better choice, but for fresh water fishing with artificial bait, I like the smaller thumb bar models. All of the ABU's are great values for the money and hold up to a lot of punishment. They are not the smoothest reels out there, but the UC models give some improvements there. Hard to go wrong with an Ambassadeur.

Tight lines,

Mike