Fishing Report 2/11/04 (farallon islands)

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Fishing Report 2/11/04 (farallon islands)

Post by seasicknes » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:53 pm

Wednesday 2/11/04,
Got up and looked at the weather/ocean forecast. Calls for excellent seas. So I called my buddy Wally up and we hitched up the boat and left to Half Moon Bay.
Launched the boat at 10:30 am and headed out. Since the water is so nice and I haven't used my little whaler in a very long time, I decided to give her a nice run.
I ran the motor at 3500 rpm all the way to the islands. This gave me a speed at around 20-22 knots. Took about an hour and a half to get there.
Once there, we dropped in and was catching lingcod/cabezon/bocaccio/greenling/and various rockcod. Becareful about the regulations now. They have exact quota on how many you can keep and the size requirements and that dreaded subspeices still apply.
We caught our limits of lingcod, cabazon, bocaccio, greenling and some rockcod (that was not in the subspecies).
Headed back in at 3800 rpm all the way back. Total burn rate was 20 gallons of gas (round trip) on a 2 stroke 90 hp JOHNSON carburated.
Total miles from half moon bay to the farallon islands and back is approximately 62 miles. Give or take a couple of miles.
Excellent day on the water.

Ken (17' whaler/22' hydrasport)

swear by senkos
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fishing Report 2/11/04 (farallon islands)

Post by swear by senkos » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:04 pm

seems like u burnt a lot of gas.

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:24 pm

I like going there sometimes especially when the water is flat.
Fishing is generally good to excellent.

This gas consumption on the older carburated 2 stroke 90 hp motors is typical running about 3 mpg.

The newer 2 stroke fuel injected 90 hp (ficht)motors are typically running right around 5 mpg.

The newer 4 stroke 90 hp motors get about 5 to 6 mpg or so.

I heard rumors that the new 90 hp ETEC (2 stroke, next generation fuel injection) motors are suppose to get as much or better than the 4 strokes.

Ken (17' whaler / 22' hydrasport)

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:53 pm

Nice post S.S.,

I always enjoy your detailed fishing reports complete with pictures.  Have you ever seen great whites cruising around the farralons?

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:25 pm

I have caught blue sharks and I have seen a Great White last season.
This was my first encounter with a great white.
We were in my bigger boat (22' hydrasport wa) and fished the Farallon Island (south). Wife and friend Wally was with me. When wally said, I got a fish on and a big shark is coming over.
I said "ok, no big deal". Then I glanced over and saw it was a BIG SHARK. Its a great white that was longer than 17' and as wide as my f250 super duty. The great white circled the boat twice. Swam very slowly looking at you intently.
I told my friend Wally, DO NOT roll up that fish. Leave it down there.
It was an awesome site. These great whites are impressive. No wonder why the seals high tail it and run.
That trip was a trip of a lifetime. Wife could not believe it. I still speak of it and you just got to see it to believe it. That shark was THICK and you talk about teeth ! And those eyes ! Just amazing.

Ken (17' whaler / 22' hydrasport wa)

Reno Reeler
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Reno Reeler » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:02 pm

That would be something to see!  I'm amazed enough when I see them on the discovery channel.  I like when they tow the seal silhouette behind the boat and the shark flies into the air with what it thought was an easy meal.  Talk about a top water bite!

Nuboi
Angler
Angler

Post by Nuboi » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:52 am

Hey Guys I want to head out to Farallons to go fishing sometime but wouldn't know where to start. I heard there's areas of sanctions that no ones suppose to fish? Anyway can you guys advise me of the coordinates so that I can head out there sometime when the weather is nicer. Since the Weather sucks these days...

seasicknes
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by seasicknes » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:19 pm

Here are the gps location of the south farallon island.
N37.41.921
W123.00.131

From Hmb go to PP bouy. PP buoy to south farallon island is 27 nautical miles away on a bearing of 285 degrees.

Since you have not fished there before, I advise you to partner up with another boat.

ken (17' whaler / 22' hydrasport wa)