Non-Typical Drop shot

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Non-Typical Drop shot

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:35 am

Most of the time when I’m dropshotting it’s in clear water
But recently I have taken it upon myself to do it everywhere I’d used a texas rig.
Do you only drill use a drop shot in clear water?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Non-Typical Drop shot

Post by Drakestar » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:22 pm

I've definitely dropshotted in murky and even muddy water. Bigger worm, bolder colors, and possibly wacky-rigged for more water displacement so that they can find it. The weight itself already makes a clicking sound and/or disturbs the mud, too, so there's plenty to go by for the fish.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Non-Typical Drop shot

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:47 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:35 am
Most of the time when I’m dropshotting it’s in clear water
But recently I have taken it upon myself to do it everywhere I’d used a texas rig.
Do you only drill use a drop shot in clear water?
I do the same as you on my local river, drag dropshots all over. Issue I have is snags. For rocky sandbars, big rocks, etc. I am fine, but if I get into a swift area with log jams and bushes it can get tough. Almost fish a dropshot like a Carolina rig.
I still keep using dropshots primarily in clear water, but our fishing gets tough to impossible with dirty water anyways.
Not sure others do this, but sometimes I dropshot small swimbaits. Leave about an 18" drop to the weight, then run an Owner Downshot hook with a 3" Easy Shiner. Just allows me to stop the bait and fish a little slower with a different presentation.