Lake Powell FLORIDA

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Lake Powell FLORIDA

Post by hotdogin » Tue May 15, 2018 8:34 am

Looks like I'm heading to Rosemary Beach, FL in July and was wondering if anybody had any tips on Lake Powell. I'm not familiar with dune lakes and see that it has a mixture of fresh and saltwater fish. What techniques, lure types do you recommend and how about rod/ reel? Would an Alphas SV be okay for these waters? Any of info will be greatly appreciated!
just hotdogin it

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lake Powell FLORIDA

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:53 am

I've fished those dune lakes several times, and you never know what you will catch in there. Some hold lots of bass, redfish and trout with lots of other bonus species mixed in. If the water is clear, it's hard to beat a jerkbait, and my best recommendation is an Xrap 08 in Olive Green. That little lure catches everything. That said, any of your normal bass baits will catch redfish and bass, with spinnerbaits/chatterbaits, topwater walking baits/poppers and crankbaits being some of the best. Fish those lures fast and cover some water, and you will catch some big fish. Your baitcaster will be just fine, but be sure to rinse off after use and do a thorough cleaning when you get home. For rods, I would stick with a Medium power just to make it more fun. Not a lot of structure in there so let them run. Hope you have a good time, it's a beautiful area!

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Lake Powell FLORIDA

Post by hotdogin » Fri May 25, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks for the all the info! I was a little on the fence about using my Alphas SV because from what I understand there is some saltwater in the lake and didn't want to risk ruining the reel. Looks I need to grab a few green Xraps and give it a shot. I think I'll have the chance to fish from a kayak almost the whole time I'm there so fingers crossed I get to catch my first red.
just hotdogin it