New Jersey fishing

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

New Jersey fishing

Post by Patex » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Hi All,
I am going to New Jersey, on a business trip at the end of February. I try to fly in for the weekend and do some fishing. First of all is end of February ok to fish for small or largemouth?
I see I will be around 18-25miles from Lake Hopatcong or Splitrock Reservoir. I was looking for fishing guides on the internet but hardly could find any and most of them start from 1st March. I was trying to hire Iaconelli but no chance :D If anyone can recommend someone I would appreciate.
Please send PM if you don't want to share it on the forum.
Thank you.
Last edited by Patex on Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Jersey fishing

Post by JerryC » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:42 am

Patex wrote:Hi All,
I am going to New Jersey, (Morristown) on a business trip at the end of February. I try to fly in for the weekend (coming from the UK) and do some fishing. First of all is end of February ok to fish for small or largemouth?
I see I will be around 18-25miles from Lake Hopatcong or Splitrock Reservoir. I was looking for fishing guides on the internet but hardly could find any and most of them start from 1st March. I was trying to hire Iaconelli but no chance :D If anyone can recommend someone I would appreciate.
Thank you.
You will be in my neck of the woods, but im afraid to tell you that most lakes may still be completely frozen at that time. But if not, my suggestion would be Split Rock for sure! Split rock is trolling motor only.. i suggest contacting the Pond Hopper (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-pond-hopper ... ey-heights) to book a kayak trip with him. He is a great guy, if split rock is locked up then he can suggest other places to fish with him. Dress properly its VERY cold up in NJ right now but to be honest your chances of finding a lake that isnt frozen is very slim.. good luck!!!

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:39 pm

JerryC wrote:
I am going to New Jersey, (Morristown) on a business trip at the end of February. I try to fly in for the weekend (coming from the UK) and do some fishing. First of all is end of February ok to fish for small or largemouth?
Thank you.
You will be in my neck of the woods, but im afraid to tell you that most lakes may still be completely frozen at that time. But if not, my suggestion would be Split Rock for sure! Split rock is trolling motor only.. i suggest contacting the Pond Hopper (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-pond-hopper ... ey-heights) to book a kayak trip with him. He is a great guy, if split rock is locked up then he can suggest other places to fish with him. Dress properly its VERY cold up in NJ right now but to be honest your chances of finding a lake that isnt frozen is very slim.. good luck!!!
Thank you for the information. Hmm, if the weather is so cold maybe I will only go to nearest Bass Pro shop to fill up with all the goodies. :D

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:47 pm

Patex wrote:
JerryC wrote:
Thank you.
Thank you for the information. Hmm, if the weather is so cold maybe I will only go to nearest Bass Pro shop to fill up with all the goodies. :D
I think the closest Bass Pro Shops is in Atlantic City.. pretty much a 2 1/2 hour drive from Morristown.

Patex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Patex » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:02 am

Well I am in NJ currently and the weather was beautiful today. Beating myself up for not organizing some fishing :(
I bury my tears in buying more tackle :D