Rainy Lake MN fishing.

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Rainy Lake MN fishing.

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:34 am

Has anyone here fishing Rainy Lake much? What did you think of it? I'm trying to decide if we should do a Canadian Fly-in Trip next June or try Rainy Lake Instead. Rainy Lake is significantly closer, less expensive, with nicer accommodations, and nicer boats. But if the fishing isn't at least 80% of what we would likely have on a fly-in trip it probably falls off the list.

Please share any stories of your trips.

Thanks,
DaveJ

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rainy Lake MN fishing.

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:35 am

Nobody had fished this huge lake? The videos I've found online make it look great, but I'm not sure if perfect timing matters much.

DaveJ

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:07 pm

I haven't fished rainy, but did have a chance to fish on the pipestone chain in southern Ontario (40 miles north of rainy). I don't think you can how wrong either way. I think it comes down to personal preference, fort France's and I falls is going to offer a bit more attractions, but a remote fly in camp is going to be once in a lifetime.

Just so you're aware ice out on rainy in 2013 and 2014 was 2-3 weeks into May, and if spring comes early deet just makes the Mosquitos angry.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks for the reply.

We have flown out of Red Lake 3 times to Birch Lake. Crazy numbers of walleyes and some big pike.

We decided on Lac Seul for next June and hope to catch some 30" class walleye and maybe a monster Musky or 2.

DaveJ

drewlesch
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by drewlesch » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Yeah one of the guys that we flew into Pipestone with had fished Lac Seul, and spoke of it highly (actually he wouldn't stop talking about it). You've got as good a chance as any at Lac Seul to find the trophys you're looking for!

Mothercanucker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothercanucker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:26 pm

Eagle Lake right beside Seul.

jmyers
Angler
Angler

Post by jmyers » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:26 pm

Been to Rainey 2 times both in August and fishing is great. Both times have been on Canadian side. Each year Scott Martin films an show on the MN side of Rainey using their Rangers out of a houseboat and they catch a bunch of smallmouth.