40', Box full of Gag Showdown

Please post your fishing reports (freshwater or saltwater, conventional or fly fishing). You don't have to give away your secret spots but you do have to share what tackle you were using!
Apollobeachsam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

40', Box full of Gag Showdown

Post by Apollobeachsam » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:33 pm

Neil(Stowaway) called and told me they had a couple of openings for an offshore gag digging outing. Last time I went offshore I was hand cranking in 800 ft of braid w/ 3lb weights on them. Granted it was the east coast but is sure wasn't what I called fun.

We were going out with Captain Jay and from his reports I've read, the guy puts grouper in the box in the shallow stuff. Compare to 800ft, 30-60ft was music to my ears.

We met up at the rondevou point at 4:30am to make the launch out of Bayport by sun up. We sabiki up some pins and squirrel fish and and off we go. We made a drop at 30' and the bite was pretty instant. The action was steady, with exception of a nice cobia the fish were short.

Making the move out to 40' the bigger gags were home today. The action was fast af furious with plenty of rock ups and break offs. We pulled in some nice keepers until we ran out of bait of choice. Today they were hungry for 1/2 of frozen sardine. For a while every drop was getting eaten with lots of bent over rods.

We ran out of sardines so we started to use pinfish heads which worked to put a few more in the box. By 2pm the heat was sweltering and no choice bait left, we called it a good day of digging.

Thanks Captain Jay... next time under water spearfishing video? :)

http://www.saltyshores.com/vids/capjay.html